Bedlam's Brew Shed Build

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bedlam

Reaction score
El Hubbo and I have been scheming for some time about our next building project: a combination root cellar, garden shed and brewing/canning shed.

The site:
img_0200-57830.jpg

It will be 12' X 16', with the back wall dug into the bank and a second floor that will be the brewing/canning area. Off one side will be a deck that extends from the second floor, with the idea of having some greenhouse space there eventually. (Hell, with the level of "feature creep" that I generally see with our projects, don't be surprised if there isn't a sauna at the end of it all.) :p

iphoto-library-57834.jpg

This pic is another of the building site. Just behind Otto will be the opening to the bottom level, which will house garden equipment and the back of which (dug into the bank) will be a root cellar.

We will use materials harvested off of our land, whenever possible. We've had these logs seasoning for about 18 months:
img_0205-57831.jpg

And there are piles of native stone all over, remnants from when some poor farmer tried to make this land arable many decades ago:

img_0208-57832.jpg

We are having a local contractor dig out the foundation in a couple of weeks! I can't tell you how excited I am to see some real physical progress on this after all the planning. :ban:

I love these builds. I live in NJ where we can only dream about having open spaces :). How big a structure are you planning?

Edit: 12'x16' :). I should read the whole thing before I left my vicarious excitement get the better of me!

-blake

It will be 12' x 16', two levels, with a deck hanging off one side. It is near our well, so I'll have water, too.

I would actually like some input on how would be best to set up the top level brewing area. I have done mostly extract and some partial mash brewing to this point. I'm not sure I'll ever go the full monty on all grain, but I haven't ruled it out. What would be the ideal floor plan/layout?

Sweet! Where in east Tennessee are you guys? I'm in Chattanooga.

My detached garage is just a little bigger than the size you are planning, (it's 12' x 20') but I also have a couple of kayaks, a mower, and some lawn and garden junk to contend with as well.

I ended up putting a work table, brew stand, grain mill and refrigerator along one 20' wall and put all the lawn and garden stuff on the opposite wall. The brew stand is on wheels, so that helps.

I would actually like some input on how would be best to set up the top level brewing area. I have done mostly extract and some partial mash brewing to this point. I'm not sure I'll ever go the full monty on all grain, but I haven't ruled it out. What would be the ideal floor plan/layout?

Wow, I'm so jealous! As far as ideal situation, I would consider counterspace, cabinet space, and brewing area together. If you do your next batch in a line, like you're on a brewing sculpture, you can get an idea of how much space you need and where the water should be in order to make hauling/carrying/pouring minimized.

Of course, moisture can be a huge issue so consider ventilation (windows, doors, fan) right from the start!

Late to the party, but awesome. I'm picturing hobbit house. . . Actually thought hard about building a cob house into a hill side. . . Can't wait to see how this turns out!

Oh, I would LOVE a red round door with a big brass knocker in the middle! I've given that some thought...

Meanwhile, weather has stalled the foundation work for now. I'll post up again when some progress is evident. :D

I would actually like some input on how would be best to set up the top level brewing area. .....What would be the ideal floor plan/layout?

HI - looks like a great project, and I wish I had the land to do something like that. In regards to your brewery design, the first post in this thread

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f51/brewery-layout-276784/

has a link to a PDF file of a powerpoint presentation made by Brinkmann (sp?) at the 2010 HBC that has a lot of good ideas on how to lay out a home brewery.

Good luck, and keep the pictures coming!

I think I saw a similar build on Discovery Channels Moonshiners! Just kidding, can't wait to see the updates.

HI - looks like a great project, and I wish I had the land to do something like that. In regards to your brewery design, the first post in this thread

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f51/brewery-layout-276784/

has a link to a PDF file of a powerpoint presentation made by Brinkmann (sp?) at the 2010 HBC that has a lot of good ideas on how to lay out a home brewery.

Good luck, and keep the pictures coming!

Wow! That's JUST what I'm looking for! Thank you so much.

Back