too cold to ferment

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SciencePig

Reaction score
Just did a BB kit, Oktoberfest. It's in primary but It's in my fridge so is that going to be too cold for it to ferment? It's still primary and the yeast is one that can work at 70f, but I've got it around 48f.

I should probably relax and have a home brew but I wanted to see what you all think

That is almost certainly too cold. The yeast will probably just go to sleep.

The good news is that you didn't kill them. Warm it up and they'll start fermenting away again. Ideally you can keep the temperature of the fermenting beer under 70F.

If it is an ale yeast that temperature will probably make it go dormant. Or, at least make it take forever to fully ferment.

Ideally you would use a lager yeast for an Octoberfest. In that case your temp would be fine. However, since it seems like you are using an ale yeast, your temp is much too cold. Most ale yeasts perform best in the mid-60s. If it is an ale yeast, pull the beer out of the fridge and ferment it between 60-70F.

(note: fermentation will cause he beer to be several degrees warmer than ambient. You'll want your fermentation temperature between 60-70, not your ambient)

I went to look on my log but I didn't write it down I'm certain it was a lager yeast but it was whatever brewers best put with the kit

EDIT

So I moved the brew inside I should probably stick it back out there because I could get it in the range of 62 - 70f. After reading it again I think it is an ALE yeast but they, the makers, called it a Lager.

here is what they have printed on the sheet.
Brewed As An Ale

Brewer’s Best® recommends lagering this
recipe to achieve the true lager character of
this beer style. However, if you are not prop-
erly equipped to lager your beer, the included
yeast will perform well when fermented as an
ale. When fermenting as an ale (between 64º
- 72ºF) try to keep the beer on the cooler end
of the temperature range and allow for some
additional time for the lager yeast to ferment
down to the FG. If possible, rack to a second-
ary fermenter for two weeks prior to bottling.
Consult your local homebrew shop to learn
more about the equipment necessary to la-
ger your beers. Although this method is not
as accurate as temperature-controlled lagering
equipment, most climates provide a seasonal
window that will allow you to lager beer.

Move the fermenter
to a cool, lager-specific, temperature-stable area (approx. 53º - 59ºF).

FERMENTATION

10. PRIMARY
The wort will begin to ferment within 48 hours and you will notice CO2 releasing (bubbling)
out of the airlock. The included lager yeast will ferment out in 10-14 days within the indi-
cated temperature range. When the airlock indicates bubbling has completely stopped
and the gravity remains the same for two full days the beer has reached its Final Gravity
(FG)11.

11. SECONDARY/LAGERING
Transfer the beer to a clean, sanitized 5-gallon carboy. Lower the temperature 1º to 3º per
day until it reaches 35º - 42ºF9. Lager within this temperature range 3 - 4 weeks. After at
least 2 weeks take a FG reading with a sanitized hydrometer and record it in your ABV%
CALCULATOR.

I wonder if it was "san francisco lager" yeast or "california lager yeast" - these are "lager yeasts" that ferment at "ale temps."

Was it actually fermenting when you had it at 48?

Hard to give you the best answer without knowing what yeast you used. I would call the homebrew shop and find out.

One thing you do NOT want to do is keep introducing big swings in temp. to your fermenting beer. That will definitely cause off flavors..... no matter what yeast it is. You will to pick a temp. and stick with it. Like I said, call the place of purchase, they should be more than happy to help you.

When the temp as mid 50s it had some activity but when it hit the 40s is when I'm guessing it went dormant.

I moved it to the swamp and held it hat 62-68 according to the ferment thermometer. This morning it had some krausen developing.

I have a similar question, I brewed a rauchbier from northern brewer, and primary fermentation was to be done at between 46-56 degrees F. I didn't have room in my fridge, so i threw it in a dark closet. Turns out it was not nearly cold enough. Fermentation started and continued for about 2 days, but then i checked and the foam had completely disappeared. I understand yeast is very temperature sensitive, and on the 3rd day after brewing, i finally found a fridge and its at the proper temperature. Is my yeast dead? Or will it begin to get active again? What can I do to save it.

Any help is appreciated.

I have a similar question, I brewed a rauchbier from northern brewer, and primary fermentation was to be done at between 46-56 degrees F. I didn't have room in my fridge, so i threw it in a dark closet. Turns out it was not nearly cold enough. Fermentation started and continued for about 2 days, but then i checked and the foam had completely disappeared. I understand yeast is very temperature sensitive, and on the 3rd day after brewing, i finally found a fridge and its at the proper temperature. Is my yeast dead? Or will it begin to get active again? What can I do to save it.

Any help is appreciated.

It's not dead- it's probably just done. Fermentation will happen at warmer temperatures, and quickly, but the beer tastes better if fermented at the proper temperatures.

The beer is fermenting nicely. The temps have been between 64-66f. Overall I think it will be a good brew. I will get the yeast info from my LHBS tomorrow and post back.

Latest posts

Back