time to play the "can you name this style by the pictures" game.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Since Zwolle is such a whiner.

ForumRunner_20110803_102301.jpg

BTW... it seems about only half of you are any good at perceiving color. Or at least, the particular color of the beer.

I'll give a hint shortly... maybe an hour and a half or so.

emjay said:
BTW... it seems about only half of you are any good at perceiving color. Or at least, the particular color of the beer.

I'll give a hint shortly... maybe an hour and a half or so.

It looks to be about 16-17 SRM with a "garnet" hue, but that still doesn't help me know what it is. I've only been brewing about 2 years so I haven't been exposed to a lot of styles that aren't commonly available commercially. It looks delicious though. PM me the recipe, oh yeah and the name ;)

Okay, to reveal the word from that last hint:

Some guy asked me for this beer by calling it "that ******* beer".

******* = Jamaica

Okay... the color comes pretty much entirely from a special ingredient, which I'm looking for in the answer.

By special ingredient, I mean that it is not a type of grain or hop (though this IS a beer.) And I promise it's not *completely* obscure as the name of this "style" (with the special ingredient in the name) is something I've actually seen mentioned a fair number of times on HBT, though sometimes with a specific second special ingredient in the name as well.

Everyone may guess again.

HokieBrewer said:
How'd it turn out?

It's a commercial example... I'm running out of beers :D

But I guess the picture didn't show so well, especially on some people's monitors, that the beer is pretty pink. It seems to me like adding a bit of cranberry juice to milk or something.

BTW, that "specific second ingredient" I mentioned is honey, as in Honey Hibiscus Wit. This beer was more specifically a Hibiscus Wit, but the answer was close enough and not exactly incorrect.

Also, the "Jamaica" thing was in reference to it being known as Jamaica flower, as well as being the defining ingredient in "Jamaica Juice".

HokieBrewer said:
No one is right.

New hint. I bottled 50 of these. Only 2% didn't drink the whole thing.

I don't understand... are you talking about abv? Is it dry irish stout?

Back