Soda Fountain Help

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Slopples

Reaction score
I've got a 6 head soda fountain. Its a Lancer IBD 4500 22'' Coca-Cola. I got it from an auction of a Quiznos that was closing down. I have the entire system used there. I have it all hooked up and reran every line and tagged the hoses. Emptied the carbonater and refilled it accoding to the guide and boneville.net.

My problem is that nothing is coming out. I can get water to come out of the water tab over where the tea used to be, but other than that nothing is coming out. I can see the lines running from the bag of syrup and it doesnt seem to be moving at all. I have my carbonater PSI set at about 95 and my pumps at 70. I don't know where I should go next. I tried moving the syrup to the other 5 lines with the same results. Any help would be appreciated.

I've gone through their technical documents before but I can't tell if its the pumps or the dispensor. No soda is moving from the bag so I don't know if the pumps aren't actuating or the dispensor isnt opening the lines which tells the pumps to work.

After much troubleshooting (I just took the hose off the dispensor with everything else still on) I have determined that the dispensor valves arent opening and allowing the pumps to move syrup to be mixed with soda water. So I guess I am going to contact Lancer.

Well, at least you were able to narrow it down. I couldn't be of any help since I've not seen it, though it does seem pretty nice to have (if it were working properly). I should have considered it with those quizno equipment auctions.

It turns out there is a lock on the machine on the side and after reading all the troubleshooting guides I found I am pretty sure it is locked which causes the valves not to work. I didn't get a key so I am going to get a replacement from Lancer.

If you want, you can bypass the lock on the side. It should be a simple key switch. I work on mostly Cornelius fountain units, but have worked on a few lancers. You can pull the lock out and disconnect the 2 leads, then splice them together. It is all 24volts DC by the way, so don't worry about getting shocked. : ) Then your valves will always be ready to dispense. Keys are pretty cheap though....so just a suggestion if you have trouble getting a key.

Edit: I just looked at the date....you probably already have the key... LOL : )

Well let me pick your brain slightly. I am having trouble getting the mixture right I think. When the soda water and syrup mix its extremely carbonated and then goes flat. I have the icebin filled for at least 20 minutes so the cold plate should be good to go but I just can't get it right. Any suggestions?

Well let me pick your brain slightly. I am having trouble getting the mixture right I think. When the soda water and syrup mix its extremely carbonated and then goes flat. I have the icebin filled for at least 20 minutes so the cold plate should be good to go but I just can't get it right. Any suggestions?

I will rule out 2 odd things 1st....just in case: You are not using beer gas and you do not have a descaler hooked up to your water supplying the fountain unit correct? These are 2 carbonation killers that I see out in the trade.....people hook up beer gas instead of co2 by mistake.....and they put de-scalers for ice machines on the water supply to the soda fountain. If these 2 don't apply, then read on..... If they do....fix it. : )

There are 2 things that I would check 1st.

Final product temp and flow rate out of the valve.

The 1st thing I would check is the finished product temp in a glass with no ice. It should be under 40 degrees. Preferably 38. Soda has to enter the glass below 40 degrees or it will taste flat. 20 minutes is plenty of time to chill down the cold plate...but you may want to cycle the ice agitator motor....and run some product through the cold plate if the unit has been inactive. It will melt some of the ice and chill the cold plate faster.

Next, check the pour rate. If the valve is dispensing to fast, you will get lots if initial carbonation but it will taste flat because the co2 is getting blasted out. Try slowing both the soda and the syrup down quite a bit. Shoot for a pour speed of about 2.5 oz per second.....or, 5oz in 2 seconds...a little easier to time out.

Sometimes, after the unit has sat for a long time....the 1st pour will taste flat.... that is because the soda and syrup between the cold plate and the valve have warmed up....and rarely the ice in the bin will "bridge" and not be touching the coldplate. (meaning...the lower ice will melt and the ice above will hold in place.) Sounds weird but it does happen...that's why fountain units have timed agitators.
AS far as the mixture....if it is coke product it is 4.75 parts water to 1 part syrup. If it is Pepsi product it is 5 to 1. The mixture will not affect the carbonation level though...and it is hard to set the brix properly without a brix cup and separator. You will just have to go by taste if you don't have one.

I hope my ramblings made sense....and I hope this helps you.

Cheers!

Jason

Back