Belgian Tripel Karmeliet Clone

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I apologize if someone already asked this as I didn't want to read through all 119 posts but what do you use as clear white syrup in your recipe?

I used Karo's clear white syrup the first time I made this.

I've actually just a few hours ago started fermentation of this recipe for the second time, but now I just made my own syrup by combining 200 grams of table sugar with about 60 grams of water and bringing the mixture to a boil. My OG was lower than expected at 1.066, not sure if that's because of my improvised syrup or some other reason.

Anyone tried this lately any new tweak worth trying ? I am about to make it again soon!

Brewed my first batch of this about 3 weeks ago. I added some ground cloves and some fresh orange zest to the original recipe, thinking it would be a good Christmas beer. The Ardennes yeast really took its time. The krausen has just fallen in the last day or two. Took the first of my final gravity readings tonight....probably done at 1.015. If the taste from the hydrometer sample is any indication, this is going to be a fantastic bucket of Belgian goodness. Can't wait to get this one in the bottles and carved up.

Neutron

Anyone tried this lately any new tweak worth trying ? I am about to make it again soon!

I've been reading Brew Like A Monk and I noticed there that the monks use 2 yeasts, the primary fermentation is 1 week at 75F(! that's what give flavor) and secondary is 4 week at 32F - doesn't say lagering but I am intrigued by the use of 2 yeasts.

The beer gets conditioned in the bottle - would that be the reason for second yeast ?!

hey Gordon,

thanks for the recipe - I actually had found this post after buying my ingredients for a Belgian triple, so mine will be different but my question is this:

I don't have a keg / Co2 setup so I'll be putting some dextrose in the pail before bottling, and I would like to know
is there any reason to believe that if I bottled now that I'd have any bottle bombs? I have a very rudimentary understanding of how the whole gravity thing works and am conveniently terrified of bottles exploding in my hand.

my O.G. was 1.062

(added 1lb dextrose when fermentation settled down a bit per your suggestion)

my F.G. is 1.009 after around 10 days in secondary

should be good to go, right?

Update:

moved the carboy upstairs last night to prepare for bottling this weekend, and am seeing thousands of micro bubbles coming from the bottom. as a result the airlock has been somewhat reactivated with it bubbling every 3 minutes or so. is this continued fermentation or just bubbles dislodged from the trub from the movement?

anyone feel free to chime in here...

Update:

moved the carboy upstairs last night to prepare for bottling this weekend, and am seeing thousands of micro bubbles coming from the bottom. as a result the airlock has been somewhat reactivated with it bubbling every 3 minutes or so. is this continued fermentation or just bubbles dislodged from the trub from the movement?

anyone feel free to chime in here...

When did you brew this?

I am currently drinking Birra by Prairie Artisan and it reminds me of that dry chalkyness I was describing earlier in Karmeliet. Of course, it's been so long, I need to try Karmeliet again...
But I was thinking that when I brew a triple, I will split the batch and use Ardeness in both but add whatever strain of Brett to the second fermentor....

around 25 days ago. I ended up bottling 3 nights ago because I'm convinced the fermentation is done & the micro bubbles that were forming was just "off gassing".
that or I've got some time in the E.R. to look forward to... ;)

Good. I say 3 weeks is plenty. Let us know how it is in about 2 weeks!

My old home-brew store had a Karmeliet clone extract with grains recipe. I never made it myself but I thought I'd share for comment. Personally I think there may be a bit too much wheat in this recipe (I'd probably just use 8 oz.) and I'd stick to continental hops for this (like a Nobel hop + Styrian Goldings). If this would be more to style I'd do what I could to sweat the details to get a drier beer to result. Something with a F.G. below 1.015. I'd make a yeast starter and would probably switch to a Wyeast 3787 Trappist High Gravity Yeast. But I'd try to dial it in a bit more to get the 8.4% ABV the beer is supposed to have. I think I'd try to pitch like at 65 degrees F and ferment it from there up to 68 degrees.

Belgian (Karmeliet) Tripel
makes 5 gallons

3.3 lbs Light Malt Syrup
3.3 lbs Wheat Malt Syrup
1 lb Light Dry Malt Powder
1 lb Candi Sugar (boil 15 mins)
1 lb Belgian Pilsner Malt
½ lb Wheat Malt
½ lb Aromatic Malt
¾ lb Flaked Oats
1 oz Sweet Orange Peel (boil 15 mins)
½ oz Coriander (crushed, boil 15 mins)
½ oz Northern Brewer hops (boil 60 mins)
½ oz US Golding Hops (finishing hops, boil last 5 mins)
½ tsp Irish Moss (boil 45 min)
¾ cup corn sugar for bottling
White Labs WLP 550 Belgian Ale Yeast
1 Servomyces tablet (for optimal fermentation, boil 15 min)

original gravity 1.081
final gravity 1.019
alcohol content 8.2%
IBU: 22

Steep crushed malted grain in 2 gallons of 150° water for 30 minutes. Remove the grain from the hot water with a strainer, then bring water to a boil. When boiling starts, remove pot from burner and add 1 cup malt syrup. Return to a boil, then add boiling hops and boil for 60 minutes. Add Irish Moss for last 45 minutes of boil. Add Candi Sugar, Sweet Orange Peel, Coriander, and Servomyces (optional) for the last 15 minutes of the boil. Add finishing hops for last 5 minutes of the boil. Then add remainder of malt syrup and dry malt extract and stir to mix, wait 10 minutes to sanitize. Fill your sanitized carboy with 2 gallons of cold water. Strain the hot wort into the carboy and top off to the 5.5 gallon mark. Add yeast when beer is less than 78°, and ferment and bottle as usual.

around 25 days ago. I ended up bottling 3 nights ago because I'm convinced the fermentation is done & the micro bubbles that were forming was just "off gassing".
that or I've got some time in the E.R. to look forward to... ;)

How did this turn out?

Back