Primary -> Secondary

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stephen424

Reaction score
I used 1272 American Ale yeast. And there is a small layer of foam still on the top. Maybe a centimeter. Its been sitting for one week, and my gravity is about 1.020 from 1.062. First, can I transfer that or should I wait until it drops the extra .004? Also will it some yeast still eat it down? Anything else I made for the most part never had that much krausen but I used activator instead of propagator this time.

I would wait at least another week or two and then rack to your bottling bucket or keg it. Waiting the extra time will allow the yeast to finish fermentation completely and clean up any potential off flavors as well. Commercial breweries tend to shorten the fermentation time because time is money for them. Three weeks in a fermenter is expensive. No need to use a secondary.

I forgot to add two things. I want to use the cake thats in there, or else I could use dry yeast. And I want to dry hop it. I dont usually use a secondary anymore, since it just seems to be more work than anything.

I forgot to add two things. I want to use the cake thats in there, or else I could use dry yeast. And I want to dry hop it. I dont usually use a secondary anymore, since it just seems to be more work than anything.

Ahh, yeah that makes a difference... go ahead and rack it to your secondary.

Back