American Barleywine Her Majesty's Pleasure Fusion Barleywine (awards)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I brewed this in June on my bday been sitting in a let in my closet since July. Gonna bottle near Xmas and enjoy on my next bday. 6 more months to go!

Wonder if I should pitch more yeast when I bottle

I've never mashed a beer this large. When you say 10 gal strike yields approx 8.75 gal runnings, that works out to only .05 gal/lb grain absorbtion which is half the usual est. Is this due to your crush/setup or does the absorption go down for some reason with larger mashes. Seems impossible?

You're right. I don't know how I came up with those numbers in the original post. I just fixed them up to represent the 2.5 gallons of absorption. On my system, I tend to boil off 1.5g per hour so I need 8.5 preboil to get to 5.5 post boil.

Thanks! I have a similar system. I've always thought my boil off rates were really high (if you're getting 10% on a commercial system they say you are doing well), but I guess it's just that a 5 gal beer in a 15.5 gal keggle and a blast furnace burner allows for a really vigorous boil without boiling over.

I can't wait to try this one. Sounds like Bass #1.

worthless.gif

I have one of those!

This recipe inspired me to brew a barleywine. mine was somewhat similar. Here's what I came up with.

Malt
28 lbs Marris Otter
1 lb of Belgian Candi Syrup (45 Lov)

Hops
1.5 Ounces of Warrior - 60 min
2 Ounces of Simcoe - added evenly from 30 - 0 min

Yeast
Huge Starter of 1056

OG - 1.112

Currently fermenting at 60 degrees.

Just a follow up. I finally kegged this beer last week after six months of sitting on oak chips. Took a sip last night and good gravy that is some smooth beer. Happy Happy Happy. Now to bottle and hide some for three years.

rwagner23 said:
Just a follow up. I finally kegged this beer last week after six months of sitting on oak chips. Took a sip last night and good gravy that is some smooth beer. Happy Happy Happy. Now to bottle and hide some for three years.

Are you going to slightly over carb this before bottling? I'm planning a big barley wine like this and Don't want to risk bottle bombs. So I was thinking if kegging and then bottling with a beer gun. Usually when I do this I kick up the psi for a few days first. Thanks!

Are you going to slightly over carb this before bottling? I'm planning a big barley wine like this and Don't want to risk bottle bombs. So I was thinking if kegging and then bottling with a beer gun. Usually when I do this I kick up the psi for a few days first. Thanks!

You know I hadn't thought of that. Too late now.

Long time reader, first time poster.

Thanks for posting this recipe and for all of the discussion, folks. I brewed this yesterday in my 10 gallon mash tun so dropped the Marris Otter down to 22lbs but kept the hopping the same since I have a pound of leafs in the freezer to get through. Also did my first yeast starter (I'd say it was with dry yeast.. but I do not want to incur wrath.. oh alright, it was with dry yeast). Ended up with a 1.095 OG and the beast starting bubbling before my 1/2 beer was in the fermenter (ESB made by capping with 1lb of Crystal 80, and then some light DME since I had it laying around and my OG was rather low).

Cheers!

Can anybody tell me what the effects of replacing the Maris Otter with ordinary 2 row will be. I can't get Maris Otter my neck of the woods.

Any advice appreciated.

Brewed this a year ago, month in a primary, keg for 5 months, bottles for 6 more.

Delicious. Unfortunately, even with a fresh packet of yeast at bottling, it did not carbonate.

I brewed this last December. I plan on poppin' bottles during this year's Holiday season. What is the best way to succesfully bottle this? I have made a "Bier Muncher Bottle Filler" would kegging, carbonating, and BM Bottlefilling be a good route? This sits way to long to end up flat.

-Thanks!

So, Thinking of bottling this baby real soon. I have about 4.2 Gallons in a carboy. Brewed last December. For Bottling I was planning on adding about 4 OZ. of Dextrose, and a package of Champagne Yeast. Thoughts?

I got received a Blichmann Beer gun for Christmas from SWMBO. I am going to try it out on this batch. This batch was brewed over a year ago, pretty stoked to try it out. It is force carbonating in my Keezer right now. I have it set at 12 PSI with the temp at 43 Degrees F. I figure I will be ready to bottle in a week. Also, I'm entering it in "The Upper Mississippi Mashout," here in MN in January. My only deviation from the original recipe was that I did not use any wood, and let it age in secondary instead of in the bottle.

My OG - 1.113
My FG - 1.028

ABV - 11.16%

I'll be sure to post results.

Thanks!

Brewed this last December, started secondary in January with bourbon soaked cubes. Tasted last week and decide to bottle due to strong oaking and bottled after 3 days cold crashing.. Perfect amount of sweetness and fantastic aroma. I've described the aroma as "strawberry poptarts", nice and biscuity, much akin to Bourbon County's Bwine. Rehydrated US-05 at bottling, hoping this carbonates well. Will update with results in a few months.

Stellar brew, just awesome.

Can you explain a few things? Never made a barley wine and this no sparging thing is confusing me.

1. Let's say I want to make the ESB. So I take out all the extract by squeezing it out the best I can to make the Barleywine. Then I add 1 lb of the Crystal and let sit for 10 mins with all the grains and 6 gallons (?) of water? Then I collect the mash again to be boiled in a separate kettle? What will the OG be? What would you recommend for hops? 1 oz Kent for boil and .5 oz to finish?

2. Initially, you added 11 gallons to the mash - at what temperature?

I have a smaller BIAB setup and prefer a smaller Barleywine than this, but love the idea of focusing on MO and EKG hops.

Does the below look like a reasonable change that would still carry the spirit of the original recipe?

5gal batch
ABV: 9.98 %
OG: 1.097
FG: 1.023
IBUs: 47.5 IBUs
Boil Time: 120 minutes

12lb Maris Otter
6lb Light LME added at 10min left in boil (would use MO syrup, but everyone seems to be out of stock)
2oz EKG (60min)
3oz EKG (10min)
White Labs WLP007 with starter

I think it's still close. Interestingly enough, if the MO syrup is important to you, I have six cans of Maris.. https://www.brewhardware.com/product_p/lmemaris.htm

Make sure that starter is big and healthy. I've always brewed a batch of bitter as a big drinkable starter. I think another way you could go is start fermenting the wort you get from the grain and one can of LME and 3 days later or when it's really churning nicely, feed it the last can of LME. You don't even have to boil it.

Have you tried it yet? :)
(or.. is there anything left of it?)

Brewed a variation of this 3 weeks ago, fitting as much Maris Otter as I could in my mash tun (18 lbs) and supplementing w/ 3 lbs DME to get close to the ABV the OP thought would be ideal. I also was accidentally sent an extra Edinburgh Yeast for my scotch ale in February, so I used that for this (starter plus washed yeast cake from the scotch ale).

I'm scared at how good this tastes already! Lovely balance, slightly toasty and fruity notes add depth. Slightly oily and thick right now, and this has the makings to be special in a few months. My brew buddy and I tasted a sample to decide on any oak treatments to go with it. Have some Hungarian oak cubs soaking in some McKenna Single Barrel now and plan to add that next month.

This is so simple and truly a winner!

Buying the ingredients for this today. Plan is to bottle in 750ml bottles, wax and set aside as my yearly birthday beer. I’ve plugged ingredients into Beersmith and dropped my efficiency to 55%. My calculated IBU is way off at about 31. Any advice is greatly appreciated!

I think there were some photos uploaded for this beer early on but they are no longer available. Does anyone have any photos? I have not liked the other barely wines that I have had in the past due to the dark fruit character (I believe that is the piece I’m picking out). Given this is a single malt with MO I would expect this to not have that character? Am I wrong?

I think there were some photos uploaded for this beer early on but they are no longer available. Does anyone have any photos? I have not liked the other barely wines that I have had in the past due to the dark fruit character (I believe that is the piece I’m picking out). Given this is a single malt with MO I would expect this to not have that character? Am I wrong?

I've made two batches of this but somehow can't find a picture. There is no dark fruit character: this is rich, boozy toffee deliciousness. It is so simple to make and just a fantastic beer. I've lost count of the number of non-brewers who've asked to buy some from me. Has made for a great present for people!

Back