original gravity high

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bassassassin772

Reaction score
So I brewed a whiskey barrel porter today. everything was good until I took my OG reading and it was at 1.068. the kit says OG = 1.063. Is this a big concern and also what would cause it to be off. this is my 5th brew and everyone has been spot on. Please help

So I brewed a whiskey barrel porter today. everything was good until I took my OG reading and it was at 1.068. the kit says OG = 1.063. Is this a big concern and also what would cause it to be off. this is my 5th brew and everyone has been spot on. Please help

We'll need a lot more details like recipe and your procedure but I would not worry much. It might be a bit outside the style but it should still be good.

I am happy to be a couple points off either way and unconcerned in your range. I would be more P.O.'d if it was low.

Again more details will be needed to determine what made the difference.

You probably just have higher efficiency than what the kit maker expects you to achieve. Either that or gnomes dumped sugar in your wort. I wouldn't worry about it, but if you are worried, just add water to your fermenter.

5 pts isn't a big big deal. Another possibility is that your measurement of volume may be slightly off.

Back