first shot at recipe...first all grain batch, Imperial IPA

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

flyingfinbar

Reaction score
Hey everyone. I've been playing around with Beer calculus and came up with this potential recipe for sort of an Imperial version of Magic Hat's Encore IPA...please be gentle, it's my first time:ban:

% LB OZ Malt or Fermentable ppg °L
69% 10lb 0oz American Two-row Pale 37 1 ~
24% 3lb 8oz American White Wheat 39 2 ~
4% 0lb 10oz CaraVienne 35 21 ~
3% 0lb 6oz Caramel/Crystal Malt - 60L 34 60 ~
total 14lb 8oz
Batch size: 5.0 gallons

boil 60 mins 1.0 Apollo pellet 19.7
boil 30 mins 0.5 Amarillo pellet 7.0
boil 30 mins 0.5 Simcoe pellet 13.0
boil 1 min 1.0 Amarillo pellet 7.0
boil 1 min 1.0 Simcoe pellet 13.0
dry hop 7 days 1.0 Amarillo pellet 7.0
dry hop 7 days 1.0 Simcoe pellet 13.0

96.7 IBU
Boil size: 6.5 gallons

OG; 1.08
FG: 1.019
ABV:8.1%

figuring on a 75% efficiency, which I think I could pull off with BIAB.

Now for the questions:

For yeast, could I just double pitch a dry yeast like Nottingham, or do I have to go the liquid route?

Is this feasible for a first time all grain BIAB brew?

Should I dryhop a little heavier? I likadahops:D

Thanks for the help, sorry if it's a little confusing!

Looks pretty good!

I've had good results doing a 2 oz total addition (you know, 1 oz of each hop) at 20 mins and 1 oz total addition at 5 min, with no 30 or 1 min addition, and then an oz at dry hop.

Hey looks like you have a good recipe going. My only comment would be the 2 oz of dry hops which might be too much depending on who you talk to. Personally for a 5 gallon batch I like to use .75oz for about 5 days. Too long or too much will give the beer a evergreen finish in my opinion that is.

You can definitely double pitch dry yeast or make a starter.

As a disclaimer I've never Magic Hat anything. This is just how I likt to do my IPAs

I'd add flavor hops @ 15, 10, 5, and flameout. I also prefer to do all bittering and nothing in the middle of the boil because you don't get efficient use of the bittering qualities and most if not all of the flavor component is boiled away. I'd at the very least double your dry hop.

I type slow I guess

Yeah, I'd up the dry hop for an IPA that big. In my mind you can't overdo the Amarillo/Simcoe combination. Delicious. One thing though, why so much wheat? Is it a thing with Magic Hat? I've just never put that much in an IPA, but hey, that's why I'm on here too.

Yeah, I'd up the dry hop for an IPA that big. In my mind you can't overdo the Amarillo/Simcoe combination. Delicious. One thing though, why so much wheat? Is it a thing with Magic Hat? I've just never put that much in an IPA, but hey, that's why I'm on here too.

That particular IPA is labeled almost as a wheat/IPA blend kind of thing. It was delicious, but I would like my first all-grain BIAB to be of the imperial variety, so I ended up with this, haha.

ehedge20 said:
Hey looks like you have a good recipe going. My only comment would be the 2 oz of dry hops which might be too much depending on who you talk to. Personally for a 5 gallon batch I like to use .75oz for about 5 days. Too long or too much will give the beer a evergreen finish in my opinion that is.

You can definitely double pitch dry yeast or make a starter.

2oz of dry hop too much?? Uh, 4oz is the minimum, anything less and it's not even worth the hassle. I prefer 6-8oz.

flyingfinbar said:
I"m not quite sure what you mean, D??

It's one of the options close to the top if the formulation page. The type of beer you're making, extract, partial mash, ask grain. Extract always defaults on mine for some reason, throws the numbers off

i would drop the c-60 for sure, it is not needed in this recipe, nor used in the original at all.

I would also up the 1 minute hops a bit (oz. wise) and increase the dry hops to 3 oz min. I have not tasted Encore, so i can't recommend ratios, but i would throw some Apollo into the dry hop as well. Other than that, looks good for a Wheat IPA.

Edit: I also just took a look at your OG, FG approximations. Encore finishes dry (around 1.010 i believe based on the website). If you want to achieve this dryness as well, i would lower your mash temp to 149-150, see where that gets you. You can also replace some of your fermentables (after dropping the c-60, decrease the 2 row a bit) and add Dextrose (Corn sugar). You'll add this to your boil. It's common in Imperial IPA's as it dries out the beer, and boosts the alcohol since it is 100% fermentable. I would aim for maybe 5% or so, not much higher. The Wheat is going to give a huge malt balance, so i think with the increased 1 min additions and increased dry hop, the alcohol will be covered nicely.

Back