Yeast addition at bottling

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

quickerNu

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
My first lager is bottled and conditioned, and I have not been too happy with it. I think much of that is due to the fact that it is a partial mash, with no specialty grains, just two row. I am also wondering how much of that could be because of how little yeast there is at bottling.
I have seen both arguments. Some add a little yeast @ bottling- how much and what type? Notty? That side of the fence says that the little yeast will not affect the flavor profile- the beer is done. Has anyone tried this both ways to compare?
Others say there is enough yeast to carbonate. Don't yeast produce off flavors when there is not enough of them to do the job (hence, using a starter)?
I may try both ways after my chest freezer is free to see what differences there are. Any other factors I should try?

What is it about the beer that you are not happy with? How long was it lagered? The only reason to add yeast to a lager at bottling is if it's been lagering for a long time. The longer it lagers, the more time for yeast to settle out, but this would take a while. I lager most of mine for 4 weeks and have never added yeast. They have always carbonated just fine. I imagine if I ever brewed a Marzen in March and didn't bottle until August, I would probably add some yeast.

As for too little yeast for carbonation producing off-flavors?... I've never heard that discussed before. But perhaps with carbonation, since the amount of fermentable sugar is so small, you either have enough yeast or you don't.

If I were to add yeast to a lager for carbonation, I would ideally use a dry lager strain. You wouldn't need much... maybe half a pack per 5 gallons. I guess in a pinch I would use a clean dry ale strain, but I would be worried about flavor a bit with such a different yeast.

How long have you lagered? Most posts I've read say not to worry about adding yeast for the lagers. I have one about ready to go into cold conditioning for 5 weeks and do not intend to use yeast at bottling time.

Now this particular beer was only lagered for 4 weeks. I guess there is just not much yeast activity in 1 bottle to produce off flavors? Would a dry lager yeast be happy at room temp?
Soper- I'll bring some of this batch sunday. Maybe you can help to clear up if it is extract twang or just a bad recipe. I just don't want to repeat a mistake if I made one. In general, I just am worried about the ability to make a lighter lager with clean flavor using any extract.

Back