Which whiskey or whisky is your big bottle

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bluemoose

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I have been drinking whiskey, scotch and bourbon lately. I usually have about 20 bottles on the shelf, but recently the big bottle has been Tullamore Dew. Meaning that it is my go to for a couple neat or iced. Looking for a change, so which is your big bottle and why?

Traverse City Whiskey Company.

Because our homebrew club has a KBS clone project and we used a TCWC barrel and I needed more whiskey to add to it. So I have a big bottle on the shelf.

But I'm no Connie Sewer.

My everyday go to is Ezra Brooks for the money, but for those special occasions I'm quite partial to Buffalo Trace. Mmmm, mmmm, good!

I'm partial to woodford for my go to big batch whiskey. But I like to buy local whiskey's when I can.

Or when I wind up at a bourbon bar I drink what I've never heard of on the bar keepers advice but that doesn't help you.

I will second Knobb Creek and Buffalo Trace...both delicious

However my favorite scotch is J&B or as my grandfather used to call it Jewish Boos...goes down smooth and keeps the yentas away

Very Old Barton (white label, 86 proof… not the 80 or 90 proof versions) is my "everyday" bourbon. I have lots of bottles of nicer stuff, rye heavy in winter, wheat heavy for summer, but for regular consumption hard to beat VOB.

Garrison Brothers. Had a bottle of Red River before that. Next will be Witherspoon, Rebecca Creek or Balcones.

Wild Turkey 101, usually have the 1.75L on hand. Fantastic neat, better than many twice the cost or more.

Defiantly Knob Creek is a favorite but I'd have to say I really like Larceny too. A really good bourbon at a great price point, worthy of the big bottle spot!

I keep it simple, and I like whiskey, but am not a large whiskey drinker if that makes sense.

I either have Woodford reserve or Makers mark on hand. a fifth lasts me a year, or more. Like currently the last bottle of makers mark from christmas (2015) is still 3/4 full.

Now, gin. Beefeater or Tangeray. those are about every other month. I don't like the cheaper, or the more expensive ones..

Daily drinker is George Dickel
Noah's Mill when I want something extra

Scotch is too expensive anymore

This stuff. Super smooooooth.

900831-18094_d.jpg

bourbon it would be wild turkey

Most of my whisky is single malt/single casks, I think my go-to is either lagavulin 16 or ardbeg 10 at the moment. But I don't tend to go to one

Bourbon - Bowman Brothers
Scotch - Lagavulin 16 or Laphroaig 18 (I like the taste of campfire)

Special occasions Glenlivet 42 or Bunnahabhain 25 (If your ever in Scotland Cadenheads bottles up some nice rarities)

Independent bottlers sometimes have some corkers at good prices too. I've got a SMWS membership and have picked up a few really great single cask bottlings from them over the last couple of years. Although I'd only really recommend them if you can get to their tastings/bars as they can be hit or miss depending on your tastes

Among the cheapest we can find around here, either Balantine's finest or Canadian Club on the weekdays.

For the occasions though, can't beat Laphroaig :p +1

Ancient Age is one of my favorite low dollar bourbons. It's getting harder to find as (I believe) it's a 3 year old Buffalo Trace and they are reserving more and more barrels for the higher price point brands.

I keep Old Overholt on my shelf as the house Rye. Mighty fine.

Daily drinker is George Dickel
Noah's Mill when I want something extra

Scotch is too expensive anymore

I always have some Noah's Mill on hand...really special whiskey. I also have some I.W. Harper...but my go to seems to be Black Label. Plenty of other good ones as well...Buffalo Trace and Bulliet.

Back