What paint for my new stand?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bevoduz

Reaction score
I'm doing the final natural gas plumbing on my new stand this weekend, and need to paint it before then. I bought some grill paint but have read it might rust through. What have others used with success? Thanks!

P2040002.jpg

I like engine enamel from the automotive section of a superstore or an auto parts store. The advantage is that after it's cured, it is one of the toughest coatings in existance. The disadvantage is that it does not cure on its own. After you spray it, you have to let it dry for a day. Then it takes on a chaulky powdery look. If you rub it, it will come off. However, if you cook it after that with a heat gun, it gels up and hardens (cures). I've used it for engine parts that i've put into an old oven at 400F for a couple hours and with that kind of heating control it turns into a completely inpenetrable barrier despite the harsh environment of an engine compartment. This might not be practical for your situation, but there it is.

I cleaned my stand well with a wheel on my grinder, then sprayed high temp Rust-o-leum.... BUT, have yet to plumb the burners, so no fire yet. It looks real good though!!!

I would get it quoted for a powder coat. Not sure how much it would be, but you could try and sell the, "its for my brewery isn't that cool" thing and maybe they would cut you a deal.

I've heard powder coating is not the best for a setup like mine. The frame will experience high heat due to the setup.

Try some Hammerite (rustoluem?). Pretty tuff stuff, and is easy to clean. Gives it a nice professional/industrial looking finish.

Nice stand ! Get it Galvanized. Find a galvanizing shop. They will strip it and dip it and wala, you'll have a very nice stand. It costs much less than getting it powder coated and its very durable.

I used the 1200º rustoleum on mine. It can still get hot enough to burn it off. I would prefer a more durable solution, but I'm just too cheap. It's easy enough to just hit it with another coat every couple of months.

bgrubb7 said:
Try some Hammerite (rustoluem?). Pretty tuff stuff, and is easy to clean. Gives it a nice professional/industrial looking finish.

Not high temp...

Back