Using corks

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mpetty

Reaction score
I have a plethora of wine bottles that I would like to use as gifts. They have no lip, so they are uncappable. Is there anything I need to be aware of when using corks? Can I get away without waxing them?

You want to put beer in them? I think the carbination would push a straight cork out of the bottle and i dont think the wax will resist the pressure well enough. But that is why champagne producers use diffrent bottles that accept a cork and a wire bale. I however am just speaking off the top of my head.
I have seen posts in here from mead makers that placed their mead in bottles too soon and the fermentation broke the bottle but did not expell the cork.

When I buy Ommegang bottles they are corked but they also have an extra metal dohickey that holds the cork in and twists arount the top of the bottle.

I'm too much of an amature to tell you that it won't work, but my guess is that it would be too much pressure.

Yup, your corks would have to be wired on to keep them from popping out. Ive seen many a beer sold in large wine type bottles, so it is possible. How to home wire them...I havent a clue.

A couple other things to consider when using champagne bottles:

1. Be certain the fermentation is complete before bottling.

2. If making carbonated brews use the wire bale AND lay the bottle on its side. With the bottle on its side the cork stays wet and expanded which keeps it sealed. Too many people stand their bottles up. That's a no-no.:(

3. If you are making a still wine or mead there should not be any pressure on the inside, but use the wire anyway for insurance.:D

I use my Grolsch bottles for meads. Yes, even the carbonated ones. I use 12 oz beer bottles for giveaways. No bottle grenades here.

i love the idea of using corks for beer. i just havent bought the equipment yet, i did bottle a beer in a really cool looking vinegar bottle that ended up exploding in my fridge.

Latest posts

Back