Commercial bottle conditioned beers

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GIusedtoBe

Reaction score
How long do you think the average time in the bottle is for a domestic BC brew like Sierra Nevada is?

How about a foriegn brew like aventinus?

I'm guessing 2-3 months on the SN and at least 5-6 on the European stuff. Anybody know? I'm curious. The yeast in the commercial brews seems much more stable on the bottom of the bottle than in my homebrews.

Regards,
Al

It's a pretty good question. I have no idea. I'm sure because of the Born on Dating marketing BS (and the inherent misinformation about it) would result in those craft brewers keeping that data fairly close to the vest.

Joe Six Pack probably doesn't understand aging if they buy into the Born on Date.

Most breweries don't have the space for aging rooms. 2-3 months from boil to shelf sounds about right for the vast majority of beers. There are some exceptions however (Russian River springs to mind).

A lot of breweries will also mark the bottles with a code. Some codes can be very easy to see when it was bottled. I know Dogfish Head marks theirs with a code signaling the date of bottling and which fermenter it came from. With that info, they can back track all the information they need regarding that specific beer, from grain bill to whoever was mopping the floor that day.

Back