Rice turning yellow on brewing rice wine

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ajushi

Reaction score
Hi guys!

It's my first ever attempt to brew. I cooked rice added some baking yeast and stored it in a plastic container and stored it somewhere dry and the temp is just right--not too cold or hot.

After 2 weeks I saw the top becoming yellow and one grain was somehow green. Is it safe? Should I continue? Is it normal?

Thanks for your guidance!

Hm not sure what to say about that ... yellow color is normal in sake brewing ... and yellowish green is normal if making kome koji and it goes to spores ...

If you did not use any kome koji or at least diatase enzyme, then there is nothing to convert the rice starch to sugars that they yeast can consume .. which might allow for bad things to take root ...

Making rice wine usually requires Koji Spores or Amylase extract neither of which occurs in bakers yeast to my knowledge. I usually end up with white mold spores that start on top and grow through the rice but I am pretty sure it is Koji. You can check out my Rice Wine walkthrough here if it helps...

My fear would be some foreign molds or fungi.

Back