Denny's Evil Twin smackpack

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

starman

Reaction score
Ran into a slightly odd smackpack of 1450 Denny's Fav and wanted to see if anyone has seen this before...

6952-dennys-evil-twin.jpg

I've never looked inside a wyeast pack before but it looked like this one had two conjoined nutrient packs. The thing is the smackpack was partially inflated and I'm not convinced I actually popped the first one myself when making a starter today. Who knows how long the yeast has been in contact with nutrients. It inflated fully like normal but should I be concerned about rabid cannibal zombie autolysis yeast?

Its been in my fridge since October - Wyeast date is Sept 2011.

shouldn't have an autolysis issue. but either way it would be so small it wouldn't matter. just make a starter and you should be fine.

A lot of my wyeast packs ended up that way. Sometimes I swear that nutrient pack is made of iron, I usually have to hunt it down and puncture it with my elbow to break it. Anyhow it should be fine, matter of fact most of the packs of Denny's fav I have used kind of pre swelled in the fridge and they were all ok.

Back