So I've got 3oz of Citra hopps...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BW210

Reaction score
Went to the local brewery and pub for dinner and had what they called "Exponential 17" which had 17 additions of Cirta hops in the schedule. Really aromatic with a grapefruit aftertaste. Darker than a light beer, but lighter then an Amber. I managed to get 3 oz out of them after a little whining:rockin:

I also have 1oz of Cascade, Amarillo and Centennial. I'm planning on using a double washed batch of WLB California Ale yeast

I'm bottling this weekend and will have an empty carboy, so I'd like to brew up a batch using them. I won't have time to get grains, so I was planning on using all DME. I'm looking for ideas on combining the hops for a schedule and was wondering on a mix of DME. I have some Light, Amber and wheat DME, but I'll still need to make a quick trip to the LBS which is only open on weekends to get some more... so I've got this week to decide what to do.

I have been reading that I should add most of the DME well into the boil to prevent caramelizing? Wondering if I should experiment with a schedule of the DME also?

I would like to jack up the ABV as well, so would adding Corn sugar close to the end of boil accomplish this?

Here is a thread with my technique that I have used for three brews now ( 1 all extract and 2 partial grain).

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f39/my-first-brew-started-293276/

I must be addicted because I won't even get a chance to taste my first until this Saturday... perfect since that's when I'll be brewing.

Lets hear your ideas.

Citra is a tasty hop - so are all those others. If I were you, since you have to go back to the homebrew shop anyway, I'd see if they have any high alpha hops to save you using the tasty ones for bittering. Don't waste your 3 ozs of Citra on long-boil additions.
You can brew beer of any arbitrary ABV you want, without adding sugar. Just adjust your grain/extract bill. You can play with the numbers on beersmith, hopville, or any of those programs. You can use corn sugar, but in excess it can give your beer a cidery taste. So I'm told, anyway - I've never used it for anything but bottle conditioning.

So using Hopville and playing with numbers for awhile, this is what I can up with using all DME and hops I have. Am I going to heavy on the hops?

malt & fermentables
% LB OZ Malt or Fermentable ppg °L
50% 4 0 Muntons Plain Light DME 44 5 ~
38% 3 0 Muntons Plain Dark DME 44 60 ~
13% 1 0 Muntons Wheat DME 44 3 ~
8 0
Batch size: 5.0 gallons

Original Gravity
1.071 / 17.3° Plato
(1.063 to 1.074)
Final Gravity
1.017 / 4.3° Plato
(1.014 to 1.018)
Color
19° SRM / 37° EBC
(Light Brown to Medium Brown)

hops
use time oz variety form aa
boil 60 mins 1.0 Amarillo pellet 7.0
boil 30 mins 1.0 Centennial pellet 10.0
boil 15 mins 1.0 Citra pellet 11.0
boil 1 min 2.0 Citra pellet 11.0 **or** 1 oz @ flameout and 1oz dry hopped @ 3 weeks
Boil: 2.5 avg gallons for 60 minutes

Bitterness
35.6 IBU / 7 HBU
ƒ: Tinseth
BU:GU

yeast
California Ale
ale yeast in liquid form with high flocculation and 77% attenuation

Alcohol
7.2% ABV / 6% ABW
Calories
234 per 12 oz.