Guate Brewing

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I actually live in Parrish, just east of Bradenton. I say St Petersburg as many people dont know of Bradenton. I moved here from Miami. Amazingly, the South Florida area has no homebrew shops. At least up here we have like 3. I would like to know if you guys use any local/native ingredients in your beer?

Ill definitely let you know when I come down, be interesting to see how immigration reacts if I try to bring in a couple pounds of whole leaf hops LOL. Its like a 2 hour plane ride so I could possible even bring some yeast with me from Wyeast or WL. Put it in my carryon with a freezer pack. My girls are old enough now to appreciate the trip to Guatemala, so I want them to go back and see and understand their country. They know they are adopted and where they are from. Their heritage is important to me and to them. I will probably start in Guatemala city then travel around and go to Antigua. Would love to stay at Casa Santo Domingo. I am interested in seeing if the monks back then did any brewing, kinda like the Trappists.

Hey, great idea to swap yeasts, given that we can't buy them here. I just started banking mine last season. I currently have some popular strains banked: SafAle US-05, SafLager S-23, SafLager W-34/70, EC-1118 (for mead). If any of you are interested in any of these strains then let me know. I don't have them here in the City, but can send them to you when I get back on the Rio.

Just started my first brew with the banked US-05 about a week ago and it was definitely still viable -- good thing I decided to rig a blow-off tube!

Back in the City today, just returned from Chichicastenago...sure would be easier to brew in that climate than the Rio! In the City for a few days so should be around for this Wednesday if you guys are up for it ??

Might hit you up on the mead yeast later on, have to try to make some of my own. So see you guys tonight at around 8PM at revolver.

@ Wayne, sure, we are still on.

@ AMRMEDIC, sure it would be great to meet you when you come down, let us know and we'll get together. Love Antigua as well and you can get Brooklyn beers and some Tucher and Licher beers down there, beer selection is finally starting to grow a little down here. I have actually been down in Bradenton as we have a friend that lives down there! I know most of Florida by now.

Sorry that we missed you Curtis, Rodrigo & I had a pleasant chat an if you're back in town by then, we can get together on friday the 26th, next week, my porter should also be one tap then (sorry about the ESB, it seems the bar hasn't sorted out the carbonation issues yet). Viso, we missed you today, hopefully you'll join us next time; It'll be a blast, I guarantee it.

Hi guys, very sad being not able to attend the gathering!!! I´ve downloaded the app for my phone, so that every time someone writes I won´t miss anything of this conversation, but some how I didn´t get any notifications!!! until today that I checked my email!!!! Very sad!!! Hopefully next time I will be able to join you and meet you all!!! This saturday I am making a new batch!!! Let you know how it goes!!!!

just stumbled across this thread, i am moving to Nicaragua and there was just about no info on the web about people homebrewing(other than bringing down their ingredients from the US) but apparently the Distribuidora DelCaribes website says there is a location in Nica as well. sweet :mug: Definately will be checking this place out. on another note, my gf has family in Guatemala, so ill be sure to look you guys up on a visit north!

and to battle the higher ferm temps - check out www.cool-brewing.com - i plan on bringing one down and having a a few 2-liters in the freezer for rotation.

Ah well, next time it is then, we had a great time with Wayne. Swapped some yeasts and got to know each other.

Viso, what kind of beer are you making? extract? all grain? partial mash? If you need any help let me know and I'll PM you my phone so you can call me.

Hopbrad, anytime you are around let us know and we'll get together for sure.

Made an altitude amber!!!! Everything went smooth! Will let you know if anyrhing happens!!!

image-3971132273.jpg

Looking good there viso, partial boil?

Rodrigo, any news on the stuck fermentation? did it ever move along? I know it's kind of soon to be asking but, who knows, you might have had time to make a starter on thursday and pitch on friday; in which case it should be down to about 1.018 or less today.

Sorry that we missed you Curtis, Rodrigo & I had a pleasant chat an if you're back in town by then, we can get together on friday the 26th, next week, my porter should also be one tap then (sorry about the ESB, it seems the bar hasn't sorted out the carbonation issues yet). Viso, we missed you today, hopefully you'll join us next time; It'll be a blast, I guarantee it.

Sorry I missed you guys. I knew as soon as I left you would show up!

Anyway, I should be back in the City again in November. Is there a night of the week that works out better for you guys than Wednesday?

I just bottled a plain traditional mead and a blend of the plain mead and a strawberry melomel. They are quite young, but turned out pretty well, will bring a couple of bottles along next time and some vials of yeasts.

I also have a sapote melomel, and a pina melomel waiting to be blended and bottled. I am out of plain mead for blending so have to start another batch soon. The pina is rather acidic so will need to work on that, but the sapote turned out quite nice. It has a spicey flavor to it much like the fruit. I will probably only blend a little plain mead with it to tone the taste down just slightly.

A pic of the plain mead and fresa melomel attached.

Plain and Fresa SDC12243.jpg

...I would like to know if you guys use any local/native ingredients in your beer?
Would love to stay at Casa Santo Domingo. I am interested in seeing if the monks back then did any brewing, kinda like the Trappists.

Re local ingredients. I use local honeys and fruits to make meads and melomels. I just made sapote melomel that is coming along nicely. And, I created a recipe last season for what I am calling "Cerveza Rosa" ... a light ale featuring Rosa Jamica. The base ale, saaz hops only, should be ready to move to secondary in a few days. My plan is to rack into secondary with very concentrated Rosa Jamica tea (as part of designing the recipe I did some blending to come up with the right ratios). Just might have sample of this available next time I am in the City.

Re brewing tradition in Guate. I have not run across anything. This surprises me a bit because of the heavy German influence. A number of highland towns, like Coban, have noticeable European architectural influence, but I've never run across any info on brewing during that era. (Gallo started in the 1800s, but I don't really count that). The Mayans made, and still make, a rudimentary fermented beverage, but not really a beer.

I've stayed at Santo Domingo a couple of times. It's a beautiful place, with great service and facilities, but as I recall it was a convent and I have not run across any mention of brewing there.

Might hit you up on the mead yeast later on, have to try to make some of my own. ...

No problem. I just banked some more EC-1118 yesterday. Could probably send it to the City on Litegua if you need it before I make it up again.

I've used the common varietal honey sold in the central market in Zone 1 and other places with good results.

I had a minor delay with my porter, so it won't be on tap until wedensday the 31st (I'll still make my halloween deadline). As with any commercial beer, the flavor profile has been toned down but I'm still pretty happy with it, and hope you guys will be too :mug:.

In case anyone would like to make a spiced version for the holiday season, here's my base recipe:

5 gal

7.5 lb DC dark LME
1 lb light brown sugar
3 oz chocolate malt
1 oz roasted barley
2 oz carafa III

0.5 oz centennial ~10%AA @ 60
0.5 oz Willamette 5.5%AA @ 15

Comes to about 5.5%ABV, 24 SRM & 23 IBU

I used my german ale yeast mix but you can use a british or american ale yeast for a more authentic & maltier flavor. I'd recommend spicing with cinnamon, nutmeg or allspice; or a combination of them.

Excellent! I am still an amateur!!! Most of the time I do not understand what you are writing about! But the idea is to get where all of you are! Any chance we could get together before the CONVIVIO of this year? Would like to meet you Rodrigo and Wayne!!!! And talk more about brewing!!!

Excellent! I am still an amateur!!! Most of the time I do not understand what you are writing about! But the idea is to get where all of you are!

For any terms you don't understand, I'd suggest the forum wiki,
www.homebrewtalk.com/wiki/

It's where I've learned most of the terminology. I'd also recommend the stickies in the beginner and general sections, namely these:

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f39/beginner-extract-brewing-howto-99139/
https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f39/easy-partial-mash-brewing-pics-75231/
https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f39/faq-please-read-before-asking-question-7909/

Lots of good references in the last one.

Any chance we could get together before the CONVIVIO of this year?

Sure, may I suggest next weekend; by then my porter should have been on tap for a few days and my ESB should be back in the game as well (still at Revolver).

Would like to meet you Rodrigo and Wayne!!!! And talk more about brewing!!!

You mean Me, Rodrigo and Curtis; this is Wayne. We go by name since we met so it can get a bit confusing if you haven't, but hopefully we'll sort that out next weekend if it's ok with you all (and Curtis is back in town).

You mean Me, Rodrigo and Curtis; this is Wayne. We go by name since we met so it can get a bit confusing if you haven't, but hopefully we'll sort that out next weekend if it's ok with you all (and Curtis is back in town).

Hey guys, don't delay for me. Just delivered a boat up to Belize and will return to the Rio tomorrow. Probably back in the City during November, but not sure exactly when.

Ok, friday is easiest for me (after 7:30), all in favor say "I" (any other suggestion is also welcome).

"I".

Not sure when I will be back in the City, but Friday's are fine...of course my schedule is pretty flexible...so any day is fine for me.

Something I would like to do is to better train my taste buds to recognize common off flavors in beer. This way I know what the off taste is when I taste it -- not just that it does not taste right.

Siebel Institute has test panel kits you can order. Also, Wayne, as a food sciences guy, might be able to secure some of these flavor compounds in country -- Wayne: Can you?

Seems like a great group activity -- are you guys interested?

Also, Wayne, as a food sciences guy, might be able to secure some of these flavor compounds in country -- Wayne: Can you?

I can't get all of them in sufficient quantity to try them out in a neutral background that is known to all of us (like say dorada draft), but I can certainly give you an idea of what to look for (taste or smell actually) when something doesn't (then again it might just) seem right. Here's a table with the most common (off?)taste/smell compounds found in beer and how they come to be there (and also how to prevent/encourage them depending on what you want):
http://www.freefilehosting.net/copyofflavoringcompounds_1

*#7 is listed as a Ketone, it's an Ester, sorry

Seems like a great group activity -- are you guys interested?

It's all ok with me, the only thing is we'd need to get the appropriate chemicals (most of which aren't all that hard to get) in non-toxic quantities. The attachment contains a table of what chemical gives what (off?)flavor to beer, all but 3,4 & 11 should be easy enough to get from commercial sources.

3,4 & 11 are pretty darn toxic/carcinogenic in relatively low amounts so I'd advise against getting them or trying them out in anything less than laboratory conditions; they are also pretty volatile (prone to emitting vapor) which makes them all the more dangerous (rule of thumb, the smaller the structure the more readily it becomes a vapor).

Hi guys!!! I am back!!! Had to dissable the app for my phone because it was sending me alerts of messages at 3am!!! Great idea to learn how to taste off flavors!!!! Count me in!!!! Regarding day, for me its better Friday!!! Also!!!! So when organizing another gathering hopefully I will have the chance to meet you all!!!! The altitude amber is añmost ready!!! Think I will leave it sit for a few more days!!! I am traveling to Mexico next week so sont be able to bottle it!!! Will send you pictures, Also have intention on visiting some breweries in Mexico!!!! Any suggestions are welcome!!!!!

Can't really recommend anything, as I've never been too far into Mexico other than Monterrey when I was about 5. All I can say is try to steer clear of anything InBev.

In other news, the ESB is back on tap at Revolver and in a related note; the brown porter is on hold until the bar can pay for it, which "should be sorted out come monday".

Hi guys, quick question...just notice I ran out of sanitizer!! Would you recomend using bleach? One tablespoon per gallon of water or less? And no rising? I wanted to bottle tomorrow since I am going away otherwise the wort is going to wait for another 4 days or so until I buy sanitizer!!!!

I've used bleach (straight) with no ill results, just make sure to rinse the everliving crap out of it.

If you'd rather not risk harsh bitterness, I'd say let it sit for the 4 days, it can only get better.

I've used bleach (straight) with no ill results, just make sure to rinse the everliving crap out of it.

+1. I've used bleach for years with no problems (loads of discussions here on HBT). I think the key is to not use too much bleach (about 1oz/5 gallons is sufficient) and rinse well with hot water.

It's all ok with me, the only thing is we'd need to get the appropriate chemicals (most of which aren't all that hard to get) in non-toxic quantities. The attachment contains a table of what chemical gives what (off?)flavor to beer, all but 3,4 & 11 should be easy enough to get from commercial sources.

Good, I am very interested in doing this (nasty chemicals omitted of course).

I will check into the Siebel and other taste panels. At about US$200 Siebel seemed a bit spendy.

Re Mexico: One Mexican brew I have not tried is Noche Buena. So, if you run across it give it a try....better yet...bring some back!

Hi guys!!!! Back home now!!! Very good business trip to Mexico. The only problem I had was finding craft beers!!! Only had the chance to try Calavera, Tempus!!!! Mexicans in Mexico City do not know much of craft beers!!!! Seems that all of this movement is in the north of Mexico!!! Also restaurants and bars have contracts with major commercial brands and they only sell those kind of beers like Corona, Tecate and so on!!!! :( but still the beers I try very good!

Similar situation in most of CA I think, but a few more interesting brews are starting to find their way into Guatemala (like Brooklyn Brewery products).

I may need to travel to the USA on business near the end of the month. I'm not looking forward to that, but access to lots of craft brews might help ease the pain.

Iodophor or "tintura de yodo sin color" (yeah, I know it sounds stupid but the pharmacist will know what it is) or medicinal ethyl alcohol (make sure it's not isopropanol), be sure to rinse everything well though (same as if you were using bleach).

Cerveza Rosa

Racked my first test batch of "Cerveza Rosa" (an ale with Rosa Jamica added for color and flavor) to another container today so that I can do some more sample blending with Rosa Jamica.

Its coming along, still needs some more time, and more Rosa Jamica to get the color I want (color shows up darker than actual in photo, that's about the color I want).

And, got a nice slurry of US-05 to bank!

SDC12387.jpg

Iodophor or "tintura de yodo sin color" (yeah, I know it sounds stupid but the pharmacist will know what it is) or medicinal ethyl alcohol (make sure it's not isopropanol), be sure to rinse everything well though (same as if you were using bleach).

Hey, great addition to my Spanish for Home Brewers vocabulary.

Plugged it into Google translate, just to see what it came up with up, and believe it or not it translated it as "colorless iodine".

I have gotten ethyl alcohol from Distribudora del Caribe in the past.

For the first time ever I've had brewing supplies held up in Customs. They are currently holding root beer extract and calcium carbonate pending my completing additional paperwork. Email from shipping service (CPXBOX) attached.

Anyone know any more about this?

Well that sucks, customs is getting real pissy about raw chemicals, Even my university is having trouble getting reagents for lab practices, it's getting friggin' insane.

If you want calcium carbonate, you can make it if you get about a quarter pound of finely ground lime (cal hidratada) and stick it in a keg full of over carbonated water (80 PSI) for about a week and shake it every night; the dissolved CO2 will produce carbonic acid (H2CO3) which will react with the lime (Ca(OH)2) to give you calcium carbonate (CaCO3).

Think I'll make a post on how to get/make water profile modifying salts in the CA-4 group.

Well that sucks, customs is getting real pissy about raw chemicals, Even my university is having trouble getting reagents for lab practices, it's getting friggin' insane.

If you want calcium carbonate, you can make it if you get about a quarter pound of finely ground lime (cal hidratada) and stick it in a keg full of over carbonated water (80 PSI) for about a week and shake it every night; the dissolved CO2 will produce carbonic acid (H2CO3) which will react with the lime (Ca(OH)2) to give you calcium carbonate (CaCO3).

Think I'll make a post on how to get/make water profile modifying salts in the CA-4 group.

I expect most of the chemicals are available here in Guate, which maybe why they are getting pissy about it, but it is much easier to just add them to my order on-line than it is to spend days tracking this stuff down in the City.

Yes, a document describing where to get some common additives in Guate would be quite handy (and/or how to make them).

Coincidentally, before I knew my order was held up, I was talking with a friend who runs a hotel/marina here on the Rio. He imports high quality all beef hot dogs and has been having trouble with Customs over that. Their view is you can buy hot dogs in Guate. Who the hell knows what's in these, but they don't get the qualitative difference -- you want hot dogs -- we got hot dogs here is their view.

Back