What are you drinking now?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Awesome thanks. I'll have to pick everything up and try it. I guess since adding kmeta and sorbate it won't carb and I don't have to pasteurize after bottling and back sweetening? One thing is he added table sugar to back sweeten but it seems like that wouldn't dissolve. I wonder if I should use dextrose.

I just boil the sugar in some water and then add and mix in the bottling bucket. Easy peasy :mug:

On the coffee

mcbaumannerb said:
It's about 7 to 7 1/2 hours from here. Of course if I got that far out and didn't continue on to my parents house (another 3 hours) I'd never hear the end of it. So are you hitting a brewery or doing some killer bottle shares?
Might check out new brewery in my former hometown, but mostly cellar goodies. Highlight of which is a '63 drie fonteinen geuze - my buddy is a '63 as well hence his acquiring the beer. He traded his last Loerik for it. I think he's also opening a '93 Chimay blue magnum. I'm sure we'll drink more lambic, probably a 8 or 10 year Bigfoot vertical tonight as a warm up. He's been building up a SNR10 hoard and hasn't drank one yet, hopefully his new oerbier glasses help him feel like drinking one. All in all, some very exciting beers and great company.

Having some coffee this morning. Getting ready to hit the road for Ohio.

Wait till I send you a vanill buffalo sweat, it will blow your mind :D

Seen a lot of good posts about that. I am a big fan of vanilla stouts and porters. Have you had mean old Tom? ^^^^ if so how do they compare?

The regular buffalo sweat is very good but their seasonal vanilla buafflo sweat is like a damn desert its so good :mug:

Might check out new brewery in my former hometown, but mostly cellar goodies. Highlight of which is a '63 drie fonteinen geuze - my buddy is a '63 as well hence his acquiring the beer. He traded his last Loerik for it. I think he's also opening a '93 Chimay blue magnum. I'm sure we'll drink more lambic, probably a 8 or 10 year Bigfoot vertical tonight as a warm up. He's been building up a SNR10 hoard and hasn't drank one yet, hopefully his new oerbier glasses help him feel like drinking one. All in all, some very exciting beers and great company.

Having some coffee this morning. Getting ready to hit the road for Ohio.

How was the '63? I cant imagine me having a beer that old. Your friend has quite a collection and wish i knew him and was there :mug:

Thanks, I need to go guy yeast energizer, sorbate and kmeta...and lemon and sugar. HAHA

So once I bottle, the kmeta and sorbate will not only halt the yeast but also prevent carbonation? I saw he used table sugar to back sweeten but it seems like that wouldn't dissolve even with room temp skeeterpee. Maybe I should use dextrose.

The Kmeta and sorbate kills the yeast. After adding it you need to wait a week or so before back sweetening. I use table sugar to back sweeten. I just added it to the Skeeter straight while turning it with a sanitized spoon. It works for me. I havent had any problems with it.

A little morning drinking while waiting for my flight to Texas.

ForumRunner_20131114_084820.jpg

Yes! They age well. They are almost two completely different beers six months apart. I think I like the hoppy fresh ones better, but it's hard to say. The hops drop out dramatically with age on this one. More than you'd think. But I'd definitely say the aged shugga is dang dandy, too.

I kept a bottle of Brown Shugga 2012 and had it this summer. Lots of floaties. I certainly don't recommend aging it.

Dave37 said:
Seen a lot of good posts about that. I am a big fan of vanilla stouts and porters. Have you had mean old Tom? ^^^^ if so how do they compare?

Have not had anything from Maine beer, so can't compare. I will say if you like vanilla porters, you should try to get a dry dock brewing vanilla porter. Maybe a trade is in order. ;)

Drinking water.

I just boil the sugar in some water and then add and mix in the bottling bucket. Easy peasy :mug:

On the coffee
Good point.

How was the '63? I cant imagine me having a beer that old. Your friend has quite a collection and wish i knew him and was there :mug:

The Kmeta and sorbate kills the yeast. After adding it you need to wait a week or so before back sweetening. I use table sugar to back sweeten. I just added it to the Skeeter straight while turning it with a sanitized spoon. It works for me. I havent had any problems with it.

So it dissolves?

Anyway, coffee. :) Been reading the guy's thread about losing weight and feel fat so I'm going to go eat a brownie...because I am fat. haha

Good point.

So it dissolves?

Anyway, coffee. :) Been reading the guy's thread about losing weight and feel fat so I'm going to go eat a brownie...because I am fat. haha

yep it dissolved just fine. I just sweeten it to taste. I do not have it super sweet so, I dont know if there is a saturation point if you want it really sweet

Boss is on vacation and his one son just found out he left me in charge of the shop and not him while he's gone :rockin: man is he pissed as hell he literally is yelling at his daddy over the phone. I'm loving every minute of it :ban: more coffee for me.

Boss is on vacation and his one son just found out he left me in charge of the shop and not him while he's gone :rockin: man is he pissed as hell he literally is yelling at his daddy over the phone. I'm loving every minute of it :ban: more coffee for me.

NICE! show em whose boss :D

Nozzle, we all know you just recited the plot of Horrible Bosses.

BTDubs, don't fire the fat lady, she could be preggers. :ban:

Too bad you can't use your moment of power to fire him! :D

Water here. This will be an on-going trend on this fine Thursday.

Well, I'm peeping, and I'm creeping, and I'm creepin'
But I damn near got caught
Cause my beeper kept beepin'

Remmy said:
Water here. This will be an on-going trend on this fine Thursday. Well, I'm peeping, and I'm creeping, and I'm creepin' But I damn near got caught Cause my beeper kept beepin'
Same here!! On day 4 of no beer!!!!

Lifts go up when I'm not on the brew. :D

You on a cleanse as well?

I feel the world is about to end or something.

Made a quick batch of tangerine orange cider. I guess I should have made mead with the juice, who knows. I think it measures 1.14 on the richter, I mean hydrometer. Pitched two tsp nottingham yeast and will hope for no explosion.

Anyway...just tried my honey porter which is the one that also exploded. It's at 1.018 so I'll likely bottle it this weekend or Friday night. It tasted super young. I assume what I am tasting is young beer and not bad beer. /shrug

You on a cleanse as well?

I feel the world is about to end or something.

Made a quick batch of tangerine orange cider. I guess I should have made mead with the juice, who knows. I think it measures 1.14 on the richter, I mean hydrometer. Pitched two tsp nottingham yeast and will hope for no explosion.

Anyway...just tried my honey porter which is the one that also exploded. It's at 1.018 so I'll likely bottle it this weekend or Friday night. It tasted super young. I assume what I am tasting is young beer and not bad beer. /shrug

Cleanse? No. Those are for the weak. :D I eat healthy and lift. Keeps the fat off my body and that's all I care about.

Just threw one of my Saisons into the fridge. Have to test one later today and see how it came out with carb.

Drinking coconut water.

Heading to the LHBS today to stock-up on ingredients for my next brews after I smash lunch. Even with this horrible cold, I am having a few beers later today.

I kept a bottle of Brown Shugga 2012 and had it this summer. Lots of floaties. I certainly don't recommend aging it.

Floaties? Were you at a pool party?

I kept several bottles in my beer fridge for 6+months and they came out great. Maybe someone licked your bottle cap?

Bierliebhaber said:
Floaties? Were you at a pool party? I kept several bottles in my beer fridge for 6+months and they came out great. Maybe someone licked your bottle cap?

Yes. The pool party. That had to be it. My apologies!

Umm, can you webcast this tasting??

for thread adherence, a cup of PG Tips

Remmy said:

That was hysterical!

Having some water while I sample my first test batch of my Citra orange melt away cookie

image-3876139375.jpg

Bitterness is right on - balanced the powdered sugar well. I need to let the Citra I fire in the sugar longer to increase aroma though. Batch two will be this weekend.

That was hysterical!

Having some water while I sample my first test batch of my Citra orange melt away cookie

View attachment 160113

Bitterness is right on - balanced the powdered sugar well. I need to let the Citra I fire in the sugar longer to increase aroma though. Batch two will be this weekend.

I need this recipe!!! Or maybe just to set up a trade with you. Beer for cookies?? My inner fat kid thinks that sounds about right...

Drinking a Bell's Cherry Stout right now, not that impressed, while I am brewing up a batch of Dark IPA. I like their other stouts better. Just finished a Surly Coffee Bender, great beer if you really like coffee.

That looks tasty, how is it?

Labeled "black ale." Tastes more like a black IPA. Can smell the hops in the nose and certainly present once you take a sip. The aroma of alcohol is definitely present (7.5% ABV) -- didn't expect it to smell that way. Decent beer. This brewery makes a few decent beers but nothing great, IMO. I dig it, though.

Back