Hob Goblin - Extract and Steep.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So I cracked my first bottle after 3 weeks in the bucket fermenter and 1 week in the bottle. Good news: it's definitely beer, bad news: it's flavor is nearly flat.

You know I had this experience with my sole foray into the world of the hobgoblin. I am totally unimpressed, I thought that my mild had better flavor and seemed to have equal body to the unexpectedly thin body of the 'goblin that I experienced. Very disappointing. I will probably try again some day.

To add insult to injury, the pint bottle from which I poured said 'goblin didn't work at all with my crummy hand-capper yesterday.

I am biased but I think the clone II is better than the original.
My original clone recipe was just like the original and didn't need those few extra weeks ageing.

8 days in primary, i went from 1.052 to 1.011 and man this is tastey already! i'm excited to clear it and get it on tap :)

Thanks so much orfy!

Cracked the 2nd bottle last night, nearly 7 weeks in, absolutely fantastic. And you were right, the flavor is completely different in week 7 then what it was in week 4.

I am biased but I think the clone II is better than the original.
My original clone recipe was just like the original and didn't need those few extra weeks ageing.

At our house's blind taste test 1 out 1 people surveyed like the home brew version better. :) They are both great beers IMO.

Boil for 60 min Start to Boil

7.6 lbs Pale Liquid Extract (8.0 SRM) Extract
00 min into boil 1oz Styrian Goldings [5.00%] (60 min)
00 min into boil 1oz Fuggles [4.50%] (60 min)
30 min into boil add 1oz Styrian Goldings [5.00%] (30 min)
30 min into boil add 1oz Fuggles [4.50%] (30 min)
50 min into boil add 1 tsp Irish Moss (Boil 10.0 min)
60 min into boil add 0.5oz Fuggles [4.50%] (60 min) (Aroma Hop-Steep)
60 min into boil add 0.5oz Styrian Goldings [4.50%] (60 min) (Aroma Hop-Steep)

Are the Fuggles and Stryian Goldings added at flameout? I'm confused by this hop schedule. I love Hobgoblin and would love to brew this is someone could please be a tad more specific.

Thank you!

STAD

Yes. The Fuggles/Styrian addition that is labeled as "Aroma Hop-Steep" is indeed a flame-out hop. That being said, I usually add mine with 1 minute remaining, so that the last seconds of the vigorous boil can help to break apart the hop pellets, immediately before I whirlpool and chill. Cheers! :)

I have some Wyeast #1098 in my Nut Brown I was thinking of washing to try out the process. Would it work well for this recipe or not?

Darn keg blew before the brew I have in primary was ready. Good thing I still have a doz. in bottles left. There will be another going on top of the yeastcake of this one. I use S-04 for my Goblin and am very pleased with it and see no need to change.

Ran my own conversion through BeerSmith. Pulled in the AG version, converted to extract, then adjusted for a 5gallon boil. The only changes to what's below is that I plan to use Willamette only and Wyeast#1098 I harvested from a Nut Brown.

Buying ingredients today to brew on Saturday. Inputs appreciated.

Edit: Realized my quantity differences were due to me putting the wrong boil volume into BeerSmith.

OK, I think I finally got my head round the BeerSmith conversion for this one. Rounding up the hops and using Willamette (why does BeerSmith say "WillIamette?) pushes the IBU up to 34. Is this a big enough difference that it matters?

Hob Goblin II
English Old Ale

Type: Extract
Batch Size: 5.00 gal
Boil Size: 6.00 gal
Boil Time: 60 min
Ingredients
Amount Item Type % or IBU
6.25 lb Light Dry Extract (8.0 SRM) Dry Extract 86.14 %
0.38 lb (6oz) Cara-Pils/Dextrine (2.0 SRM) Grain 5.21 %
0.38 lb (6oz) Caramel/Crystal Malt - 60L (60.0 SRM) Grain 5.21 %
0.25 lb (4oz) Chocolate Malt (450.0 SRM) Grain 3.43 %
1.00 oz Williamette [5.50 %] (60 min) (First Wort Hop) Hops 19.1 IBU
1.00 oz Williamette [5.50 %] (30 min) Hops 14.7 IBU
1.00 oz Williamette [5.50 %] (0 min) (Aroma Hop-Steep) Hops -
1 tsp Irish Moss (Boil 10.0 min) Misc
Wyeast #1098 harvested and into starter
Est Original Gravity: 1.056 SG
Est Final Gravity: 1.013 SG
Estimated Alcohol by Vol: 5.54%
Bitterness: 33.8 IBU
Est Color: 17.8 SRM

I want to make a 3 gallon batch of this (because I only have enough ingredients on hand for that size). Using QBrew, I can adjust the bittering hops accordingly to recalculate the amount needed. But what do I do with the flavor and aroma hops? Just multiply by 3/5? Or leave as is? Any rule of thumb on flavor/aroma hops when scaling down a recipe?

Thanks!

<drool>

I remember (barely) my grad student days, sitting in the Turf in Oxford, drinking Hobgoblin. At least, I think it was the Turf - it's been a while since I was hobgoblined, as we used to say. Even visited Wychwood brewery once.

This one is on my list for sure!

Anyone have an all grain recipe for this? I searched all 10 pages and didnt see one.

Anyone have an all grain recipe for this? I searched all 10 pages and didnt see one.

Where ever they call for extract, add pale malt or 2 row. Take the amount they call for and divide by your brewhouse efficiency. So if they call for 10# of extract, use 14.25# of malt @70% efficiency. If it is your first AG assume 70% then calculate your efficiency after your readings so you'll know it in the future.

Thanks for the reply. Its not my first batch but probably my hundredth. Just havent brewed for a few months and forgot the conversion. I googled it, found the answer and brewed it this past weekend. My efficiency is usually around 85%...crush my own!

Thanks again.

Fantastic! Hobgoblin has always been one of my favorite beers, now I'll have to try making my own. Thanks!

Orfy,
I am new to the forum and new to brewing proper beer ie not from a kit or a can. I used this recipe for my first ever extract and steep brew but using kronin's quantities
https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f12/hobgoblin-ii-question-112541/
I must say it turned out far better than I ever imagined. It tastes amazing (I live next to wychwood brewery) and I am proud to serve it to friends. Thank you so much for creating the recipe and hopefully one day I will try your full grain.
Have you converted your other recipes (blonde ale or old speckled hen) to extract?
Cheers,
John

I'm starting a batch of it now. This will be my third and its rapidly become my favorite. Thanks again for this great recipe!

My dance card is full but I can't to try this one as soon as I clear out the backlog!

(Bumping because it deserves a bump!)

Thanks for this Orfy, I brewed this yesterday. The only changes I made were including goldings and cascade hops for a whirlpool addition as the head brewer Jeff Drew mentioned in the CYBI podcast.
I bought enough ingredients to try this first and then do the CYBI all grain recipe and I must say this smelled absolutely fantastic!
SWMBO even commented on how nice it smells and usually she moans at making the house smell like a brewery!
I think I am going to have to rush this batch and bottle at least some of it next week so I can try it before Christmas.
I'll let you know how it turns out.

Back