Sulfur smell and fruit

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lyacovett

Reaction score
Right now I have a hefe finishing up primary fermentation. It had a relatively strong sulfur smell the first day, it has now subsided but it is still there. I plan on adding blueberries to this in secondary. How long should I wait to rack to secondary and add the fruit? Should I wait until the smell is completely gone (2 weeks or so, I assume). Or should I just rack to secondary and add the fruit when the gravity has stopped dropping?

I have a question on the fruit too. I have canned blueberries. They are Oregon brand, but it is not the puree. Should I toss these in the blender before adding?

i vote for waiting till fermentation is over. when you rack onto the fruit fermentation will pick up again.

as for the blueberries. blend them. freeze them. thaw them. add them.

I'd say wait 2 weeks minimum or until the gravity is stable for three days. After you rack to secondary, take some of the yeast off the bottom of your primary with a sanitized spoon and toss it in the secondary. That will make sure you have enough yeast to ferment your blueberries.

Back