Woops...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JeffersonJ

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
So in my house we keep Star San in a spray bottle under the sink with "STARSAN" written in big letters on the label. We, of course, also keep spray bottles of lots of things under the sink.

I procrastinated all weekend and so on Sunday night I was in a rush to bottle my beer before the work week. I rinse my bottles in the dishwasher and use the heated dry - not to sanitize my already clean bottles (the washer doesn't get quite hot enough), but just to rinse away any residues and make them nice and shiny. After that I spray some Star San in, swoosh it around, empty, then fill and cap.

Anyways, we finished up at 10 PM and I asked the lady to put away the Star San. Then I hear from the other room, "Baby, ummm... I think you used the wrong stuff." Long story short, in my rush to bottle I grabbed the spray bottle of diluted Ecover instead of Star San.

It could be worse. Luckily I was brewing a pale ale so a slight citrus flavor might be unnoticeable. Also, I'm glad that I had put them in the dishwasher so at least they were mildly sanitized. I'll find out in a few weeks.

You'd be surprised what you *can* get away with when making beer... nothing I would recommend, but in my experience, I'm sure it will come out fine.

yea from that ingredient list i cant see much that would harm you or your beer.theres a few ingredients im not sure on but if its eco friendly its made to avoid harm to critters much smaller then you

Yeah I'm not really worried about any possible side effects. It was such a small amount too.

The only thing I'm slightly worried about is an infection. I forgot to mention that I sprayed down the bottling bucket, syphon, and tubes down with the same stuff. Will probably be fine though.

Back