Naming your beer ?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rjgiddings

Reaction score
It's popular to give the beer you have brewed a name. Like we can suddenly somehow identify with the beer itself. Like an old college buddy or something?

If that's the case, and yes I really suspect it is...what was the name of your very first batch?

As of today - and a new brewer suddenly - my first batch is now named "Zatoichi Ale". Zatoichi was the name of a warrior monk in Japan - incredibly famous for his movies - where he had no sight, yet could fight, smell, hear, and feel his way out of a bloody battle.

Whats Zatoichi? Well, think : Bruce Lee, but he's Japanese, and blind, with a katana. Oh, and wearing sandals. Yeah...that's Zatoichi.

I mostly read and smelled and read some more - then brewed this beer how I *thought* it should be brewed...for what that's worth. The IBU of the hops, brew time, extract, OG, and the FG is helpful - but can become noise and chatter in the background.

Glass vs. plastic fermentors. Neo vs. Agent Smith.

I don't name every beer I brew, just the ones that turn out really well and i tend to repeat. So my first brew had no name, except the name that was on the kit-Geordi Lager. Interesting name, considering it is an ale......

I named mine Jebediah... Then it ran away and I never heard from it again... =(

I think my first "original" name was Busted Nut Brown... It ended up being a mix of my overly malty brown porter and an overly hoppy nut brown ale...

Granted I am sure someone used that moniker before, but it felt right for my beer at the moment...

we've name ours after our cats.
first was Hona-Weizen (cat named hanna, but we call her hone)
second was Pale Bubba Ale
third was Banner Amber

rinse wash repeat for subsequent batches.. banner-weizen, hanna-amber, etc..
each cat has 2-3 nicknames.. plus two of them are torties.. the names are endless really.

torta-girl trippel. just thought of that one, and I just bought a trippel ingredient kit!

Despite my sig, I don't feel the need to name my brews.
Unless, of course, I'm brewing someone else's named recipe.
I have BM's Cream of 3 Crops in primary right now. And my first 3 brews were from kits/LHBS recipes.
I prefer to just describe the brew.
Dry English cider.
American pale ale.
Traditional IPA.
West Coast IPA.
Etc.

Back