Trapped without a pint glass

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

misterVT

Reaction score
Oh God, I didn't realize how critical a good pint glass is to my enjoyment of brew. I'm trapped at my mother-in-laws moth ball smelling old lady smelling house for a week over Christmas.

This year I was smart. Brought my own brew but drinking out of these nasty glasses of hers I'm missing the usual ringing of my loins when enjoying a quality beer.

Didn't think it would matter much but either it does make a difference, I'm such a beer snob, or I'll find any excuse to criticize and despise a week in Hell. At least In Hell the food is fantastic!

See if you can find a mason jar. They come a close second for me.

Old ladies always have mason jars, don't they? Short of a mason jar, you could always break a glass and slice yourself with the shards, the pain might distract you for a few minutes.

Hilarious post! Old lady moth ball smell. Priceless!

I second the mason jar idea. That's how I drink beers I bottle in 22oz bottles. A quart mason jar is the sh*t!

Dude, I can totally relate! I was at the in-laws last night without homebrew but brought some Flying Dog Horn Dog Barley Wine which is really good but all she had was those plastic Solo cups. After the first I just drank from the bottle; something I never do.

Dude, I don't know where you are, but there has got to be a place to get a pint glass.
Go look on the beer mapping project and fine a little brwery, or brewpub or something, and drink a few and buy a glass as a souvenir. Or find a likker store, or a World market or thrift store or something.

+1 on the mason jar idea. The most common sizes are pint and quart. A wide-mouth pint mason jar should work well.....and old ladies are a very likely source for these containers.

I love my local dollar store. I can get weizen glasses, half liter mugs, coca cola glasses, and those awesome Gordon Biersch style glasses.

Also a lot of stores that sell a decent variety of beer will have some glasses. I've found Sam Adams displays set up at a few places with their perfect pints.

Drinking from the bottle makes a surprisingly large difference in the taste. I hate how at fancy events they will serve wine in beautiful glasses, and then hand you a 33° bottle wrapped in a napkin.

So anyone want to explain the advantages of a mason jar to me? It seems worse than a shaker glass (and I think those are horrible). I have a lot of willbecher glasses which I think are okay, but I generally prefer stemmed glasses as the give me the option to not warm the liquid with my hand if I choose (something drinkers of other adult beverages figured out long ago). This is especially important if you are pouring a beer at a warmer temperature and not drinking it very fast. If grandma has wine glasses, I would have gone that way.

Dude, I can totally relate! I was at the in-laws last night without homebrew but brought some Flying Dog Horn Dog Barley Wine which is really good but all she had was those plastic Solo cups. After the first I just drank from the bottle; something I never do.

Ack! Keg cups! I took a growler of Chuckanut Brewery Marzen to Christmas Eve dinner at my aunt's house and keg cups were what she had available for all forms of beverages... I think she just didn't want to do dishes or something. I drank my first beer out of a keg cup, and then couldn't handle it, so scoured the cupboards when she wasn't looking and found suitable beer mug...

My in laws have nasty water so all there glasses have this film on them. It doesn't come off in the beer, but completely ruins the beer experience. I've thought of taking my own glasses, but that would just be insulting/snobbish to great people. Yes, I said it. I have great inlaws.
I will be serving my HB out of keg cups on New Years. To hell with you people if you think I'm washing all those glasses!!

Go out and buy one? Walmart, target, dollar stores, even some grocery stores have them.

So anyone want to explain the advantages of a mason jar to me? It seems worse than a shaker glass (and I think those are horrible). I have a lot of willbecher glasses which I think are okay, but I generally prefer stemmed glasses as the give me the option to not warm the liquid with my hand if I choose (something drinkers of other adult beverages figured out long ago). This is especially important if you are pouring a beer at a warmer temperature and not drinking it very fast. If grandma has wine glasses, I would have gone that way.

There's no ADVANTAGE to a mason jar in this case, it was how to improvise. I mainly use them for.....canning. The OP wanted options, he got options.

Same with "go out and buy X." Okey-dokey, I ordered my wife a nice set of Mikasa Arctic Lights Old Fashioned Glasses for Christmas. Beautiful. Twenty a pop. Different situation, too.

My lack of knowing what a shaker glass is might be an indication that I choose to drink out of mason jars.

What the heck is a shaker glass, anyway?

Also, don't knock it till you've tried it. I've had the same beer in one of those Sam Adams glasses and a mason jar. Little difference other than the price.

My lack of knowing what a shaker glass is might be an indication that I choose to drink out of mason jars.

What the heck is a shaker glass, anyway?

Also, don't knock it till you've tried it. I've had the same beer in one of those Sam Adams glasses and a mason jar. Little difference other than the price.

Shaker Glass is the 10-16oz "Pint" we drink out of here in the US. It's the glass end of a boston style cocktail shaker. Some "enterprising" fellow realised you can sell beer in them and it's really hard for bad help to break them unless they really try. Not the best glass for most beer but also not the worst thing you can drink out of.

I agree with the Sam Adams glass. Shaker Pint Vs. Pilsner Vs. Sam Adams "perfect pint", the pilsner glass won with Sam Adams Boston Lager. (the Libby ones that curve back in at the top.)

Wife just got me the Sam Adams glasses and although they're not bad, I prefer pilsners or just a regular pint glass.

Shaker Glass is the 10-16oz "Pint" we drink out of here in the US. It's the glass end of a boston style cocktail shaker. Some "enterprising" fellow realised you can sell beer in them and it's really hard for bad help to break them unless they really try. Not the best glass for most beer but also not the worst thing you can drink out of.

I agree with the Sam Adams glass. Shaker Pint Vs. Pilsner Vs. Sam Adams "perfect pint", the pilsner glass won with Sam Adams Boston Lager. (the Libby ones that curve back in at the top.)

16oz pints is all i drink anything outta normally. got a cupbaord full of about 30.

I keep a glass in my car frequently due to my friends never having proper glassware or even adequete glassware. If I go to a party and it's byob I will bring a glass with me then take it home with me. I hate solo cups even worse then drinking out of the bottle.

Moral of the story. Wrap a pint glass up and put it in the glove box.

Back