Buying a (Extract) Beer Starter Kit

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

carndog

Reaction score
I have made a few Mr. Beer brews, and now I think it is time to upgrade to a 5 gallon setup. I was looking at the Northern Brewer Deluxe Beer Starter Kit (http://www.northernbrewer.com/brewing/starter-kits/deluxe-beer-starter-kit.html). I noticed that is says "Note: This starter kit is designed to work with our extract ale kits, brewing lagers or all-grain will require additional equipment." I understand it can't do all-grain, but what else would I need to do an extract lager kit. My basement is 50 degrees until March, and by the bulkhead doors it is consistently 43. I taught it would be a good time of year to brew the lager since I have the right temps.
Is there another kit I should consider? I would like a secondary fermentor, in the kit.

No, that kit will work just fine. They should have been more clear in stating that you'll need some way of keeping a consistant temp in order to lager. I don't like doing lagers without a fridge because I feel like the temp swings during the day (even 5-10 degrees) can effect the end product. If you wanted to, though, it's possible.

The lager does require additional equipment b/c you need colder fermentation temps. That being said, if you could keep it between 50-55 during fermentation and then lager it for 6 weeks as close to 32 as you can get it, thats fine.

A secondary is a nice thing to have, but it is not a necessity. There are hundreds of thread on here on whether or not you need one. I wont start the debate again :)

I use one and do find it handy in certain situations.

Good luck!

No, that kit will work just fine. They should have been more clear in stating that you'll need some way of keeping a consistant temp in order to lager. I don't like doing lagers without a fridge because I feel like the temp swings during the day (even 5-10 degrees) can effect the end product. If you wanted to, though, it's possible.

I got a digital thermometer in the basement for the last week, and monitored the high and low temps each day. For the week the high was 51.2 and the low 49.6. I guess I am lucky with the constant temps.

That's a nicer kit than I started with. And I've made some good brews even from the begining. I am sure it will serve you well.

The lager does require additional equipment b/c you need colder fermentation temps. That being said, if you could keep it between 50-55 during fermentation and then lager it for 6 weeks as close to 32 as you can get it, thats fine.

A secondary is a nice thing to have, but it is not a necessity. There are hundreds of thread on here on whether or not you need one. I wont start the debate again :)

I use one and do find it handy in certain situations.

Good luck!

He could always use the secondary for a second batch... I didnt look at the kit, but I'm assuming it comes with a 5 gallon carboy. He could easily do 4 gallons in that or 5 if he wanted to deal with the mess/blow off tube.

I finally pulled the trigger and bought the Better Basic Starter Kit w/ plastic carboy and an additional Better Bottle Plain 5 Gallon carboy as a secondary.
While I was at it I got 3 extract kits, Honey Brown Ale, Sierra Madre Pale Ale and the Irish Red Ale. I am going to do my first batch this weekend. Probably going to try the Honey Brown Ale.

I finally pulled the trigger and bought the Better Basic Starter Kit w/ plastic carboy and an additional Better Bottle Plain 5 Gallon carboy as a secondary.

That's exactly what I started with. Loving it so far.

I've also got that Sierra Madre fermenting right now. I'm loving the smell of it so far. During the brewing process I found myself saying "this is exactly how I'd imagine Sierra Nevada smells when being brewed". I'm looking forward to taking a sample in about a week to see how it's coming along.

Back