Kegged my First Beer tonight...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GweedoeBrew

Reaction score
South of Boston, By way of West Virginia!!
I kegged my first beer tonight... and it went pretty well... Used starsan for the first time (i was nervous with the foam... but i trust all of you who say... Trust the foam)... I put it on 30psi and skook the keg around and got it carbed in a few minutes... put it at 8PSI and served... it was foamy... but after it sat for a second it was ok... and tasted like my beer.... I will let it sit overnite...or for a couple of days to get cold...

Does that all sound right to you???

In bad news... my fridge that I have set up to be my kegerator kept tripping the breaker and wouldn't stay on... so I need to see if I can fix that... But I just put the keg and CO2 tank in my fermentation fridge... and will keep it there until I figure out something..

Was the beer cold when you tried to carbonate it? If not, you may not have the carbonation you wanted. Otherwise, sounds good. You'll love not having to obsess over bottles.

You may be fine, but it is easier to carbonate at colder temperatures. Cold beer absorbs CO2 easier than warm beer.

No the beer was at room temp...

once it gets cold does that change the carbonation? It seemed really nicely (maybe a little too) carbonated when I poured a glass just to test everything... and tasted like GOOD warm beer.

You are fine. The CO2 you put into the beer at 30 PSI at room temperature will still be there when you have it at 8 psi at fridge temps. It might change a bit, (look up a carbonation table, and look up 30 PSI and 70 F and 8 psi and 38 F, or whatever your fridge is...that tells you where you were when you carbed and where you will be as it sits in the fridge)...

congrats on kegging success! my first keg lasted almost 8 days...taking a small pint sample several times per eve, sharing it with friends ect! better get that keg pipeline rolling! I am up to 5 kegs and have 2 on tap at a time, more kegs will let you properly rest your beer while drinking one on tap. maybe I need more kegs, yes I think I do!

Well I will say... That I poured myself 3 little sample glasses last night... and enjoyed it very much...
Kegging, where little can refer to 22oz :D

congrats on kegging success! my first keg lasted almost 8 days...taking a small pint sample several times per eve, sharing it with friends ect! better get that keg pipeline rolling! I am up to 5 kegs and have 2 on tap at a time, more kegs will let you properly rest your beer while drinking one on tap. maybe I need more kegs, yes I think I do!

Keeping a pipeline is tough with kegging. I am waiting on my current 2 taps to both kick any minute with only one waiting to hook up and no beer fermenting.

Back