Another Yeast washing post

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Matt

Reaction score
I have some questions about yeast washing. I've seen some other threads about it from the last month or so, but I wanted to bring it up again because I've made some pretty bad beer reusing yeast.

The first time I tried saving yeast, I sanitized 12oz bottles and saved the slurry from the bottom of the primary. I made two batches with this yeast and did the whole "it should get better with time" thing. Instead it got worse with time. It had a really sharp yeasty, truby bite to it. Nasty stuff.

I then made another batch with fresh yeast. It turned out great, and this time I used the Wyeast Labs washing technique to get a really nice yeast that looked like the stuff in the vial I bought. I was very excited to try it out. I made another batch of the exact same beer since I knew the recipe was good, and pitched it, but it also has that same sharp truby smell to it, although I haven't tasted it yet. It has not really smelled like beer at any point in the fermentation process.

In both cases I used the White labs California Ale yeast. I've seen countless other people talk about their methods which didn't seem half as sanitary as mine, nor did they even bother removing the protiens and trub, but they always claim to have great results. Could it be the type of yeast I'm using, California Ale yeast from White Labs. Or do you think I'm letting it sit too long (about two weeks in the fridge). I have never tried using yeast nutrients, so maybe that would help.

Any advise would be much appreciated. I want to learn the process. Not that I can't afford a couple dollar packet of yeast, but just because I want to hone my skills.;) Thanks

Back