For the wife...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brutus Brewer

Reaction score
...I've developed the following recipe. She doesn't like too strong/hoppy beer so I hope she'll like this:

5 Gallon Boil

8 lbs Williams Brewing Lager LME (70% 2 Row Pale Malt and 30% Flaked Corn)

.5 oz Fuggle for 60 min

.25 oz Fuggle for 15 min

Wyeast 1056 American Ale yeast

Any thoughts

Brutus:

I'm doing something similar for my wife. She likes her ale fairly light and without much bitterness. She does seem to like hop aroma, though. I'm going to keep the IBU's around 20-25, but finish with about an ounce of Cascade pellets boiled for 1 minute. I've been thinking of adding something that might bring a tiny bit of sweetness to the equation, like some light crystal grains. Something like that might give your recipe a little more complexity without making it too dark or hoppy.

Good luck.
Monk

What are the IBUs on the original recipe? I'm still learning, trying to get a sense of how this all works (and I haven't gotten ProMash yet). I thought that Fuggles were pretty low AA% to begin with, and that's not a lot in the recipe; might it be a little bit TOO much on the malty side? Just wondering, I really don't know...

8# of LME will give you a fairly high ABV and sweet-taste...ABV in the neighborhood of 5.8. Might be to sweet for that low of a hop-addition and have a malty over-powering taste?

I'd suggest 6# of light LME and 1# of steeped Crystal-60L.

Cascade is just a wonderful with fruity tones that aren't bitter (IMHHHO (In My Humble Hop-Head Opinion)). I use my wife as a on-the-fly IBU calculator. I have her take a sip of a beer and rate the IBU's by the look on her face. :rockin:

1/2oz Fuggle at 60min
1/2oz Cascade at 20min
1/2oz Cascade at flame-out steeped for 3min.

That will give you 15IBU's and just shy of 5% ABV.

maybe up the .25oz fuggles at 15 minutes to .5-1oz at flameout. wouldn't add any bitterness, and give it a little better aroma.

Brew Smith (default settings) comes up with 6.9 IBUs for the original recipe. I'd step it up a little or you won't get any hop notes whatsoever. Here's the recipe I came up with after a little tinkering:

6 lbs 9.6 oz Pale Liquid Extract
8.0 oz Caramel/Crystal Malt - 10L
4.0 oz Wheat, Flaked
1.00 oz Cascade [5.50%] (60 min) Hops 14.6 IBU
0.50 oz Fuggles [4.50%] (15 min) (Aroma)
1 Pkgs American Ale (Wyeast Labs #1056) Yeast

14.6 IBU
Est. OG 1.051
Est. FG 1.012
Est. 5.1% ABV

The specialty grains will add some head retention and some mild flavor. The hops are quite light, but shouldn't be unnoticeable.

ive done a couple with a 1/2oz cascade 60 addition, and a 1oz cascade at flameout.

turned out really well, and very popular with light beer people. I think it was 11 or 12 IBUs or something close.

Exo said:
8# of LME will give you a fairly high ABV and sweet-taste...ABV in the neighborhood of 5.8. Might be to sweet for that low of a hop-addition and have a malty over-powering taste?

I'd suggest 6# of light LME and 1# of steeped Crystal-60L.

Cascade is just a wonderful with fruity tones that aren't bitter (IMHHHO (In My Humble Hop-Head Opinion)). I use my wife as a on-the-fly IBU calculator. I have her take a sip of a beer and rate the IBU's by the look on her face. :rockin:

1/2oz Fuggle at 60min
1/2oz Cascade at 20min
1/2oz Cascade at flame-out steeped for 3min.

That will give you 15IBU's and just shy of 5% ABV.

Even with the malt extract including 30% flaked corn?

The biggest problem I see, is the ABV is too high for the bittering. I'd cut it back to 6 pounds of extract and keep everything else the same. Fuggles & East Kent Goldings are good choices for Milds. I wouldn't use Cascades in a Mild. The corn should give it good body and keep the maltiness down.

david_42 said:
The biggest problem I see, is the ABV is too high for the bittering. I'd cut it back to 6 pounds of extract and keep everything else the same. Fuggles & East Kent Goldings are good choices for Milds. I wouldn't use Cascades in a Mild.

I will adjust the malt to 6 pounds.

i use crystal malt in my Pansy's Pale Ale recipe.. i love it.. its light and refreshing but still tastes like beer to me.. im not a big hop fan so i want something crisp ..

i suppose its the "girl" in me.. :)

Back