Trellis Design question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pompeiisneaks

Why that human mask?
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I've seen most of the trellises go all the way to 20'. I'm wondering if I can do something a bit different. Have a couple 10' poles connected w/ twine of say 10 feet or so, and give myself plenty of room? I.e. do the hops NEED to grow up? Or can they grow laterally along a string once up to about 10'?

I probably COULD go all 20' up but my neighbors may not be so happy to see the huge trellis in my back yard. I have a big yard, but would rather not tick off my neighbors :)

this was my take on a lateral trellis

Hopgarden2008_004.jpg

thanks, I put pipes beneath the brick and gravel and had them come up into the boxes, so each box has a faucet which has a soaker hose. I have pictures showing the irrigation but my other computer is screwed.

Hopgarden2008_035.jpg

Hopgarden2008_034.jpg

thanks, I put pipes beneath the brick and gravel and had them come up into the boxes, so each box has a faucet which has a soaker hose. I have pictures showing the irrigation but my other computer is screwed.

Hopgarden2008_035.jpg

Hopgarden2008_034.jpg

What's your spacing on the rhizomes? 2 per side?

Back