The guy at the LHBS altered recipe, seem right?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Johnnyhamer

Reaction score
I was originally converting the Centennial blonde recipe to 2.5 gallons so I cut the 5 gallon recipe in half. He suggested it looked weak, upped the grains and eliminated the caramel malt. I'll post below what I was going to get and what he suggested.

I was getting:
3.5# pale malt(he changed to 8.8#)
6oz cara pils(.5#)
4oz caramel malt(they eliminated this)
4oz vienna malt(changed to .48#)

Below is the original 5 gallon recipe:
Amount
7.00 lb Pale Malt (2 Row) US (2.0 SRM)
0.75 lb Cara-Pils/Dextrine (2.0 SRM)
0.50 lb Caramel/Crystal Malt - 10L (10.0 SRM)
0.50 lb Vienna Malt (3.5 SRM)

Does this at all seem right to more experienced brewers? Thinking maybe there was a misunderstanding and he converted it to 5 gallons.

your original recipe looked right for a 2.5 gallon batch. so you ended up with 8.8# of base malt for 2.5 gallons or am i mis-reading?

i like his decision of cutting the caramel malt, but that really should be the brewer's decision, not that of the LHBS guy.

I agree. It is my first AG batch but I've spent enough time on the forums to know a little bit. Guess I'll mix it thoroughly and make 2 batches of this with different hops.

According to my version of Beersmith and assuming 75% efficiency:

The original 5-gallon recipe: OG = 1.047, SRM = 6.7

Your 2-gallon recipe: OG = 1.047, SRM = 4.2

Your 2-gallon recipe altered by the LHBS: OG = 1.106, SRM = 6.3

If the LHBS meant for the recipe to be 5-gallon: OG = 1.053, SRM = 3.9

I suspect he thought you meant a 5-gallon recipe instead of a 2.5-gallon recipe. Did you ask him to look over your recipe or did he take it upon himself to alter it himself?

According to my version of Beersmith and assuming 75% efficiency:

The original 5-gallon recipe: OG = 1.047, SRM = 6.7

Your 2-gallon recipe: OG = 1.047, SRM = 4.2

Your 2-gallon recipe altered by the LHBS: OG = 1.106, SRM = 6.3

If the LHBS meant for the recipe to be 5-gallon: OG = 1.053, SRM = 3.9

I suspect he thought you meant a 5-gallon recipe instead of a 2.5-gallon recipe. Did you ask him to look over your recipe or did he take it upon himself to alter it himself?

I asked him to take a look at it because I've never dealt with grains or milling them. My partials have been mail order.

0.25 oz Centennial [9.50%] (55 min)
0.25 oz Centennial [9.50%] (35 min)
0.25 oz Cascade [7.80%] (20 min)
0.25 oz Cascade [7.80%] (5 min)

That's for the 5 gallon recipe so I am going to cut that it half/

Since I will be making two batches of this I may experiment with citra in the other.

Back