My first attempt

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ZOG

Reaction score
I just Started my first batch of home brewed beer. I went with the basic kit and a Midwest supply Red Larger recipe.

I went with a larger because my brew space (garage) is cold during January.

My 11 year old daughter and I spent about 4 hours in the garage last night trying to follow the directions to a "T".

We Steeped the grains for 30 Min., this smelled like a wonderful warm tea. We then added the Malt extracts an brought this to a boil and added the bittering hops. By now it stop smelling good. we boiled for an hour. right before we stopped the boil we added aroma hops and removed from the heat. I boiled the wort chiller in the wort for the last 15 min. to sterilize it and added whirlfloc to aid in clarity. once boiled we then ran cold water through the chiller and it cooled to 85 F in 9 min that worked great. we then poured the wort into a sanitized fermenter through a strainer. we then checked the hydrometer reading and it was a temp. corrected 1.044 just what the directions said it should be. we are on track if we kept everthing clean. we then checked the Temp. and added the Larger yeast (it was a bloated wyeast activator pack). we sealed it up and put it in a 60 degree room. we watched it do nothing the rest of the night and I wonder what went wrong. Then after a few hours of no bubbling from the airlock we went to bed.

The next morning though, we woke up to an airock that constantly bubbling. we are making Beer!! We watched it bubble all day. after 36 hours we will move the fermenter to the 50 degree garage for it's 7 day first stage. I wrapped it in a blanket to help aid in quick temp changes just in case the sun heats the garage up to much. I then plan to give it the 24 hours of 65 degree rest before I transfer it to a Carboy for it's long Lagering.

I dont know if it will taste good when it is finished but I can say me and My daughter spent a great night together and although she can't partake in the finished product we had a great time!

Dammit... you had an immersion chiller for your first batch? Freakin spoiled! HAH!

Start collecting ingredients for your next batch, cause this one will be GONE in short order!

ZOG said:
I just Started my first batch of home brewed beer. I went with the basic kit and a Midwest supply Red Larger recipe.

I went with a larger because my brew space (garage) is cold during January.

My 11 year old daughter and I spent about 4 hours in the garage last night trying to follow the directions to a "T".

We Steeped the grains for 30 Min., this smelled like a wonderful warm tea. We then added the Malt extracts an brought this to a boil and added the bittering hops. By now it stop smelling good. we boiled for an hour. right before we stopped the boil we added aroma hops and removed from the heat. I boiled the wort chiller in the wort for the last 15 min. to sterilize it and added whirlfloc to aid in clarity. once boiled we then ran cold water through the chiller and it cooled to 85 F in 9 min that worked great. we then poured the wort into a sanitized fermenter through a strainer. we then checked the hydrometer reading and it was a temp. corrected 1.044 just what the directions said it should be. we are on track if we kept everthing clean. we then checked the Temp. and added the Larger yeast (it was a bloated wyeast activator pack). we sealed it up and put it in a 60 degree room. we watched it do nothing the rest of the night and I wonder what went wrong. Then after a few hours of no bubbling from the airlock we went to bed.

The next morning though, we woke up to an airock that constantly bubbling. we are making Beer!! We watched it bubble all day. after 36 hours we will move the fermenter to the 50 degree garage for it's 7 day first stage. I wrapped it in a blanket to help aid in quick temp changes just in case the sun heats the garage up to much. I then plan to give it the 24 hours of 65 degree rest before I transfer it to a Carboy for it's long Lagering.

I dont know if it will taste good when it is finished but I can say me and My daughter spent a great night together and although she can't partake in the finished product we had a great time!

That's really cool that you shared something with your daughter. Who knows, we may even have a future female brewer coming up....

@ZOG

sounds like you followed it by the book - should work out great. the wort chiller was a great investment, IMHO. i used mine for the first time this weekend and it's like day and night getting the wort to pitching temp (compared to stupid ice baths).

you need to leave a bottle of this batch for your daughter to taste when she's old enough! don't know if it'll last that long, though - first batch is always quick to go - get a second one started!

sounds like a super smooth brew day. I made a Kolsch yesterday that didn't have any activity in the blow off for 4 hours. That's the fastest I've had anything start. this morning it's going nuts and i'm glad i used the blowoff :).

sirsloop said:
Dammit... you had an immersion chiller for your first batch? Freakin spoiled! HAH!

Start collecting ingredients for your next batch, cause this one will be GONE in short order!

I made it from 3/8 copper tubing wrapped it around a piece of pipe then added swedgelock fittings I was able to obtain. WHO doesn't have a tubing bender??

since my daughter help out, we made Root beer on sunday just for her, it should be ready wednesday.

I plan on having a home brew party for my buddies when this is done.
I wanted to have a light ale ready for the wives as well.

I was thinking on wainting till next week and starting that.

I just dont have enough bottles!!!----YET

Latest posts

Back