1st starter going

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gaidin53

Reaction score
I've got my 1st starter going on a stir plate. Put in two packs of wyeast Trappist high gravity and I'm planning on doing the extreme brewing Tripel round the world. It's got an OG of 1.09 so it's a big beer. Trying to get the best results I can. I'll be adding o2 for the first time as well from a stone when I put it into primary.

Ryan

I've got my 1st starter going on a stir plate. Put in two packs of wyeast Trappist high gravity and I'm planning on doing the extreme brewing Tripel round the world. It's got an OG of 1.09 so it's a big beer. Trying to get the best results I can. I'll be adding o2 for the first time as well from a stone when I put it into primary.

Ryan

Sounds good, good luck! :rockin:

I have brewed 2 Belgian beers so far with the Trappist High Gravity. Loved them - have to do another soon! :D

3787 is a great choice for a Tripel. it is my favorite. Wonderful flavor.

The key is controling fermentation temp. I like to pitch in the mid 60's , hold it there for a day or two until things get going. Then slowly ramp up the temp to the mid 70's. Give it plenty of time to finish. 3787 can take a long time to get the last few points of attenuation. If you pitch to hot, it is easy for the yeast to get out of control and heat up too fast.

The reason I mention that, is the first time I did a tripel with that yeast, I thought it was done and bottled it after 4 weeks. It obviously was not done and I ended up with really overcarbed beer. Not quite bottle bombs but close.

Give it plenty of time to finish. After you bottle it, set some aside to age.

Good luck with your brew.

I've got a batch of tall grass velvet rooster in secondary right now which is a Tripel that starts with a 1.08 OG. I used 2 pack of the 3787 in primary. I racked over to secondary and it had finished above expected ABV! Didn't taste very good though when going into secondary. I have a water bath with an aquarium heater. Started at 68 degrees. I'm worried that I'm getting an initial temp spike above the set temp. I under pitched and I didn't add o2. If I'm going to do the big beers I don't want to go through all the work and then get something I'm not happy with. Hopefully the tall grass attenuates out some of the off flavors in secondary and in bottle fermentation.

Do any of you add yeast in at bottling? I got a packet of dry yeast for bottle and cask conditioning at northern brewer yesterday. It's the lallemand CBC-1. I've never used dry yeast or added yeast in at bottling but I know the Belgians do! My last two batches I had varying carbonation. Need to stir the bucket every couple of bottles was another suggestion.

Ryan

Latest posts

Back