Doesn't quack like a duck.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tinytowers

Reaction score
Outside of the style guidelines...one could say it's a hybrid. Any thoughts? What is it?

23 lbs Pale Malt (2 Row) 74.2 %
2 lbs Black (Patent) Malt 6.5 %
2 lbs Cara-Pils/Dextrine 6.5 %
2 lbs Caramel/Crystal Malt - 80L 6.5 %
2 lbs Special B Malt 6.5 %

1.00 oz Chinook [13.00 %] - Boil 60.0 min
1.00 oz Chinook [13.00 %] - Boil 60.0 min
1.00 oz Centennial [10.00 %] - Boil 45.0 min
1.00 oz Centennial [10.00 %] - Boil 45.0 min
1.00 oz Crystal [3.50 %] - Boil 30.0 min
1.00 oz Cascade [5.50 %] - Boil 15.0 min
1.00 oz Cascade [5.50 %] - Boil 0.0 min

Safale S-04

Took a sample last night at about 18 days in the primary and the black patent really stands out, not quite, but borderline harsh bitterness. I've never used Special-B, but I'm noticing a strong toffee like presence. Thinking about racking over some oak, but I'm not sure if it needs anymore flavor!

What is the batch size?

7+% black patent malt is pretty extreme even for what is apparently a CDA/Black IPA/whatever kids these days want to call it.

And 20% crystal malts is...well, let's just say that is going to leave a lot of residual sweetness.

Also what are the mash details? That is pretty important.

It's a ten gallon batch, I thought that was pretty obvious so I didn't include that :).

20% crystal? I'm showing 6.5%...

Mash was a batch sparge with a three-step infusion, i.e. 8gal, 3.5, 3.5 at 154 and 170 degrees respectively.

Any other thoughts? Ill let you know how it turns out after its done carbing.

It's a ten gallon batch, I thought that was pretty obvious so I didn't include that :).

20% crystal? I'm showing 6.5%...

Cara-pils, caramel 80L, and Special B are all different types of crystal malt.

Both Special B and the C80 ought to be giving you a fairly strong raisiny/pruny aroma and flavor. At least, in my experience.

Im just gettin' shot down here.....I guess Ill keep my recipes more mainstream and straight forward before I even think about posting them here.

Seems kinda like an imperial porter or export stout...whats the og/fg? I say soak some oak in port and toss it in, should play well with the special b and tone down the patent.

Im just gettin' shot down here.....I guess Ill keep my recipes more mainstream and straight forward before I even think about posting them here.

No, post them for critique absolutely! The thing is, the Recipe database (where this recipe was originally posted) is for 100% tried, true, repeated, and sometimes award winning recipes. It's not a place for recipe critiques, so it was moved to the appropriate place.

This hasn't even been brewed yet, so I'm pretty sure it hasn't been repeated, or won any awards (yet). :D

tinytowers said:

If you don't want a critique, don't post your recipe. Only post if you want a dialogue - everyone here has their own ideas about recipe formulation - sometimes you can learn something...sometimes not. Even if you're experimenting, you can get some good advice/ideas on how to advance your brewing.

I applaud your attempt at trying something a bit outside the box. And I do think you've got something like a roasty black ipa here...or some sort of hoppy porter/stout. I agree that there's too much crystal malt in there - but honestly that's a matter of personal taste (I tend not to like more than 5% crystal in anything). I also think the 45 minute hop addition is useless - if you want more bitterness, add more at 60 min. If you want more hop flavor, add some more at 30...or some at 20. Generally, I don't see a need for any hop additions between 30 and 60 minutes.

No, post them for critique absolutely! The thing is, the Recipe database (where this recipe was originally posted) is for 100% tried, true, repeated, and sometimes award winning recipes. It's not a place for recipe critiques, so it was moved to the appropriate place.

This hasn't even been brewed yet, so I'm pretty sure it hasn't been repeated, or won any awards (yet). :D

Two out of the three recipes I just checked in the recipe database werent even done fermenting when they had been posted, and were the first time those users had attempted them. Hmmm...

Two out of the three recipes I just checked in the recipe database werent even done fermenting when they had been posted, and were the first time those users had attempted them. Hmmm...

There is a "report this post" button on each post. Please click on them to report them so they can be fixed and removed from the database!

We sometimes miss a few, but our policy on posting in the database is very clear. We need completed tasting notes, and repeatable and proven recipes in the database, otherwise it's just a repository for recipes like many on the internet and not a "winning recipe" area. We think of the recipe database as our published "cookbook" and not a discussion forum.

The recipe/ingredient area is the place to post unproven recipes, get critiques, and feedback.

If anything I would call this recipe a Black Barleywine, Port Brewing in San Diego's Old Viscosity was referred to as a Black Barleywine when the recipe was in development.

Took another sample from the primary and I'm really pleased with the results. It really doesnt taste as big as it looks. Next time around I'll go with a 60/20/20 split with a black patent/roasted barley/choc. malt blend.

Hops don't really stand out as much as I thought. I guess its hard to stand out against such an intense malt bill.

I'm racking half the batch over vanilla beans and some oak plank chunks off an old wine barrel.

I'm still having a tough time trying to describe it to people. Robust Porter? American Stout? Imperial Black IPA?!

Back