Tapioca Syrup

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Pretty sure it's just sugar, same as brown rice syrup, and lacks the yeast nutrients of the Briess sorghum syrup we use to brew.

I was going to say the same. That while it is used, I think that it lacked the nutrients needed. I couldn't find anything about it though. There's also questions about the body and dryness when used on a by-itself basis. I know a few beers that do use tapioca syrup as one of the fermentable ingredients though.

I've used this exact tapioca syrup in a brew, and it came out a bit dry. i'd add some malted GF grains to give it body along with yeast nutrient.

After digging I found this video:

But all of my attempts to find the recipe, oddly "Jo-Jo's Tapioca Pudding" only result in websites that my computer says are harmful :(

Last edited by a moderator:
Stopped by a hop farm/lhbs/greenhouse on the way home from denver today... I saw some tapioca syrup next to their sorghum, label actually stated for gluten-free brewing... Forgot to get the name of it... Anyone else find info on this stuff?

I gave up on finding "official" tapioca syrup from a homebrew supply. I purchased Barry Farm's tapioca syrup and I have made 2 beers using it. One is bottled the other is currently fermenting. The bottled one has been one of the top 2 favorite beers among my friends and family who can drink barley based beer so if you have the funds, I'd recommend using tapioca syrup. But sorghum isn't bad. The #1 favorite is my PA IPA which is sorghum and brown rice syrup.

Back