Fly Sparge with Beersmith

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shoebag22

Reaction score
I have beersmith and have only done batch sparging. I am will soon start fly sparging and wondering which mash profile I should use when fly sparging...

Hi,
The standard mash profiles are designed for fly sparging, so any of the regular ones (either mash out or no mash out) will do! The use of fly sparging might raise your overall brewhouse efficiency a bit, but only after you have a few batches under your hat.

Brad

so I'm looking at single infusion, full body and for the mash out it says to add 9qt of 196 degree water to bring the step temp up to 168...

Since I am fly sparging, am i adding that mash out water to the MLT at the same time as I'm sparging, or does it get added to the MLT and along with the water that is currently in the MLT?

Yes. The concept here is to infuse the mash to raise it to 168*F and hold for a few minutes (I hold for 15) to further liquify or "this out" the sugars in an attempt to boost eficacy of the sparge.

Back