The cure for your short hose troubles

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If 35 feet of 3/16" doesn't calm that root beer down I doubt mixer sticks are going to help.

When you do a pour is there foam in the line, and if so does it start right at the keg?
If so there may be a different reason for the foam than the line length...

Cheers!
There is no foam in the line

I took apart the out post. It all seems fine. It is a new keg. The one thing I thought was strange is the spring is def light duty not sure how it's strong enough to push down on the top of dip tube which I assume is part of its purpose.
After reassembly issue remains.
I ordered new poppets.

Last edited:
The spring doesn't seat the dip tube and the small o-ring under its flange - the post does that. That flange o-ring expands under compression to seal against the inside surface of the post while simultaneously sealing the dip tube flange to the threaded riser.

So, as the dip tube is pretty well pinned to the riser, the spring only services the poppet..

Cheers!

The spring doesn't seat the dip tube and the small o-ring under its flange - the post does that. That flange o-ring expands under compression to seal against the inside surface of the post while simultaneously sealing the dip tube flange to the threaded riser.

So, as the dip tube is pretty well pinned to the riser, the spring only services the poppet..

Cheers!
I was wondering that. I've seen poppets that had a small bracket on the bottom. Wasn't sure if that was the purpose. I just mixed up a second batch o root beer. I coiled my hose a lot better, not near as many loops. I also check the carbonation level temp/pressure charts to make sure I'm in the right zone. I've read of no foam tubing. I bought my materials from a local vendor. Is it possible tubing is the problem? It's 3/16 looks to be thin walled.

How sure are you that the line is actually 3/16" ID? The required length shoots up considerably if it's actually 1/4" ID.

3/16" thin wall tubing sounds like something from Home Depot, not actual beer line, which if solid PVC ala Bevlex 200 would be 7/16" OD.

Original Cornelius keg post poppets have a three legged base from which the spring-loaded poppet stem emerges. The non-OEM alternative is simply a tapered spring with a metal post sporting a tiny O-ring loosely held at the tip of the spring. Both typically simply rest their bases atop the dip tube and keep the poppet pressed in the post hole, though some OEM poppets rest the three legs on a carved groove inside the post (those can be a bit of a pita to service)...

Cheers!

I had it wrong the gas line is thin walled 1/4" the liquid line is 3/16 ID - 7/16 OD Other that that I assume it's the correct material. I was told by the seller who runs a homebrew place called Corney Keg in Cincinnati it is a beverage line.
The only writing on the line says -
3/16 ID x 7/16 OD 70 degree F USA PF KTM200416 19.30

Back