Secondary Flavoring Suggestions for my SMaSH

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

IrregularPulse

Hobby Collector
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
So I have ingredients for a 10G SMaSH coming and will be brewing hopefully Monday or Tuesday if they arrive. I have 2 taps on my kegerator and don't want the same thing on both. I would like to add something to the secondary of one 5 Gallon Half to change it up enough to be distinguishable ,yet still good, from the other one. Here is my SMaSH recipe. Suggestions? Don't want to Dry hop. Want a more significant flavor different if possible.

20lbs Marris Otter
1.75oz Galena at 60min
0.75oz Galena at 5min
Saf-04 Dry Yeast

OG = 1052
IBU = 40.3

Secondary Suggestions?
Comments on hop schedule welcome also, but need to keep same overall 2.5 ounces.

Well, it won't be a SMASH anymore if you use something else - but that aside, some Amarillo in one secondary would be off the chain.

I'm ok with 1 5 Gallon half not being a SMaSH. i was hoping for something I could pick up at a Normal store such as a flavor additive. Don't wanna have to place another online order and my LHBS is an hour away and rapes with prices.

you want to add something to secondary, but not hops? are you talking about spices? oak chips? oak chips might be nice. other than that, i don't add anything to secondary besides hops.

Oak chips sounds good. I've wanted to try something with oak chips, This simple recipe sounds like it'd be good for that! Thanks Death brewer. I guess I was looking for something either to the secondary or to the keg such as oak chips, or fruit, or a flavor extract. Not familiar with these hops so didn't know what to use.

What you you recommend for doing the oak chips? They need smoked? soaked? cleaned/sanitized? how many for a 5G batch?
Man I'm really excited about this now. Great Idea. I'm thinking smoke them but how? I have a weber charcoal grill I can use. How far in advance to adding them shoudl teh be smoked/soaked?

*edit, starting my search for oak chips. but of course direct help is appreciated.*

1 Month? Will Do. Thanks for the suggestion. Where does one obtain French Oak chips? Hopefully somewhere local. We don't have any big specialty stores. Got Kroger, Walmart, SamsClub, Tractor Supply Company (don't know if they'd be somewhere like that) Kitchen collection. I'll start making some phone calls. Thanks again

You recommend Medium or Heavy Toast?

i'd go with medium...keep everything subtle until you get a feel for what you like. you can get them at your LHBS or order online...i'm not aware if they sell them at any other stores.

I've never done this before so take it with a grain of salt but what I've heard recommended with wood chips is to take a small portion (1/2 gallon??) of beer and load it up with chips. Let it sit for a couple weeks and then add this back to your beer until you get the taste you're after. That way you don't have to add chips, wait two weeks, add chips, etc...

I have used two non-fruit flavorings in my beers. Rose water which is very bitter but adding it to something low IBU could be really good. I didn't add enough but it still had a nice aroma. The other is maple extract. I could see that being good with the nuttiness of the MO and the character of the S-04.

I'm planning on adding oak to a beer and I'll be soaking the oak in a few ounces of bourbon then racking onto the chips and the bourbon. A perfect way of extracting some oakiness and sanitize the oak.

I see a good percentage of oak postings to be using bourbon, but I can't stand whiskey. I'll probably soak them in water a couple days to saturate themselves, then maybe boil to sanitize and add. woohoo.

I did a beer with Jack Danial smoking chips and All I did was steam them a little before hand and stuck them in. Unfortunately I didn't mind the steam water and the chips did get a little chard but that only added to the flavor but every one loved the beer. It seem sto smooth out the beer.

The two beers I have in secondary now, my ale I just used american oak chips that I chard myself useing a torch then let them soak in cheap bourbon. I then drained the bourbon and tossed the oak chips into the secondary. The oak chips did flavor the cheap bourbon making it taste better too!
For the other beer which is a wheat, I used misquete wood smoke chips chips, that I broke up into smaller peices then chard them a little, steamed them to sanitize them cool them down to room temp then tossed those into my secondary.

For all three of these 5 gallon batches I used about a cup full or a good hand full of wood chips.

Or if you have a good spice store around you could get some Black Cardamon, which I would only use about a .5 table spoon. It has a nice roasted and cooling flavor, very good I enjoyed a red rye that had some added to it.

Back