recipe suggestion for BMC drinkers

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

megavites

Reaction score
Looking for some suggestions for an upcoming BBQ where the majority of drinkers aren't as refined as I.:D

ONe party is 1st wknd in August and another is 3rd wknd.
Not sure if the 1st is doable at this late date (or is it?)

My plan is to keg for the first time. Should I go for a Pale Ale?
Not sure what would appeal to the masses.

Suggestions?

I'm brewing up a small batch of muncher's Centennial Blonde this week, it looks like a nice compromise beer for both BMC drinkers and people who like ales with a bit more body and complexity. I thought about the c3c but thought it would be uber thin in terms of body...granted my bmc friends might love it, but I'd still have to drink the brunt of it...I'll probably try it in the near future, especially if I end up liking the centennial Blonde.

I had a similar situation but with just one party. I made a Real Ale Fireman's 4 Clone (Blonde Ale) and a Texas Red Ale. HUGE HITS!!! Same hops bill but just a different malt bill for the Red. It was a blast and everyone loved the beer. Some were even mixing the two to cut a bit of the extra maltyness of the Red.

Looking for some suggestions for an upcoming BBQ where the majority of drinkers aren't as refined as I.:D

ONe party is 1st wknd in August and another is 3rd wknd.
Not sure if the 1st is doable at this late date (or is it?)

My plan is to keg for the first time. Should I go for a Pale Ale?
Not sure what would appeal to the masses.

Suggestions?

Are you an AG'r? - Go w/ BierMunchers 3 Crop Ale - https://www.homebrewtalk.com/showthread.php?t=66503

If not try these. Both have do able summer yeasts, especially the dry safale yeasts

Cream Ale - http://www.northernbrewer.com/docs/kis-html/1391.html

Honey Kolsch - http://www.northernbrewer.com/docs/kis-html/1611.html

Some were even mixing the two to cut a bit of the extra maltyness of the Red.

See what happened was they most of thought it was a blended lambic!:cross:

A golden slightly malty beverage with little to no hop character and bubbles..This horrid combination(although I am sure it was ok because its all homebrew) actually made Miller Genuine Draft didnt it:drunk:

Miller Genuine Draft didnt it:drunk:

HA!!!! Dang near...I will say though for people who normally drink "football beer" it was a good venture into something different and actually peaked their interest in some different stuff....But your right pretty much MGD when mix, and Hey at least mine had color

I would bet it had color and a little more fresh malt character, not that staleness that canned beer seems to have

I would bet it had color and a little more fresh malt character, not that staleness that canned beer seems to have

Sniff...that's the sweetest thing anyone's ever said to me...Sniff

A few months after that I made a Hybiscus Ginger Saison for my twins 2 year birthday. It was pink, I mean pink...beer should not be pink. But it was OUTSTANDING. It was the first party that I've had since homebrewing that we floated the keg....Yes, I cried a little

So WTF? Why haven't you posted the recipe?

I'm out of town right now and will post it as soon as I get back. It is an extract recipe, but i'll try to get the AG version as well. It is really a great beer especially in the Texas Heat.

Yeah I want to see what would make it pink thats kinda crazy. I floated my keg of Amber dubbel, it was the first beer I ever kegged, not bad considering there where only 8 of us as the party lol.

Yeah I want to see what would make it pink thats kinda crazy.

It was all the hybiscus that turned it pink. It's very sensitive to use in fact I turned off the heat dropped it in with a muslin bag, chilled the wort and took out the bag. If you leave it in the boil or in heat too long you cook off the flavor of the flower. Honesty, the minute I dropped that bag in the whole wort turned pink.

megavites, this is actually a fun beer and it was a really big hit with the no taste beer drinkers. Like I said I'll post the recipe this weekend.

First week of August - No time, or your really pushing it. I would have to go with a wheat beer, nice Hefeweizen, add just the rinds of two lemons after primary fermentation is done, leave in primary to two weeks, keg, carb, your golden.
Third week of August - You have a few more options for a light, low bitterness beer as long as you have your temperature control you can make something great.

In the future, you have a duty to your friends to let them drink good beer and not BMC clones. Make their palettes step up and not dumb down your beer. :D

:tank:

A simple Blonde Ale will do well. It's generally easy on the hops, smooth on the flavor, and it's quick and easy to brew, even with extract.

thanks All for the suggestions.

I think I'll try the Cream ale first. I've been wanting to try one so this will be my opportunity. And if things go well, I'll introduce some Hefe and Belgian pale ale I have on hand as well. To bad I'm down to my last bottle of
Northern English Brown ale. That's been recieved well to. Either way,
looking forward to kegging my first beer.

Next, get ready for the kegging questions. :D

Back