Stone XI Anniversary Clone

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

portski7

Reaction score
Anyone have an idea of what to throw together to make a 5 gallon extract batch to match the XI Anniversary from stone? They describe it as a Black IPA... perhaps some of the mosre seasoned brewers on the site have tried it?

I think i'm gonna make this after my upcoming Kolsch, but need to judge the costs of ingredients.

Lemme know what you all think!

i got this in a recent swap...it was AWESOME! I saw it described on beer advocate as an "American Strong Ale"...it was roasty, hoppy and malty, but all very balanced...great brew.

i would also like to try this style! any ideas?

On other brewers' ideas, I was thinking about reducing the crystal and bumping up the carafa in this recipe to do just what you were talking about. I was also thinking about replacing some or all of the Cascades with Ahtanum, since I understand that Stone likes that hop.

TL

i think it would need a nice malty backbone...maybe some maris otter with munich or vienna malt and a high mash temp...nice, subtle roasted/coffee flavors (but not too powerful, maybe small amounts of roasted barley and british chocolate) and some hoppiness to balance it all out. Ahtanum and cascade sound good to me...if that's what they use (i've never tried Ahtanum)

hopefully some more experienced recipe forgers will chime in, cuz i would love to brew something in this style that works!

EDIT: I think i'll also have to find another bottle to know what i'm looking for! ;) :D

This is what I got directly from Stone Brewery about a month ago. Have not brewed it up yet, but will very soon. XI is by far one of my top favorites.

Stone 11th Anniversary Ale Recipe

Grain Bill:

90% pale malt

5% 60°L Crystal

5% Weyermann Carafa III Special

OG target is 20.5°P (1.082 SG) Terminal Gravity target is 4°P (1.016 SG)

Hops:

Bittering at start of boil: 100% Chinook

Flavor hops added at end of boil or whirlpool: 50/50 blend of Simcoe and Amarillo

Target 120 IBU’s.

Ferment with good ale yeast. We used our house yeast.

Dry-Hop with 50/50 blend of Simcoe and Amarillo, use LOTS! (we used 1 ½ pounds per barrel).

Good luck and enjoy. Post up if you brew it, let us know how it is.

Shoulda figured the Chinook and Amarillo... used that in a Ruination clone a while ago + some magnums. And I guess Wyeast 1056 would be the winner for the yeast on this one.

So stone is pretty good about giving out recipes for their brews? I've heard tell that they wont even let out what hops are in Arrogant, so I wasn't sure if talking to them about this would work.

Thanks a bunch man!

awesome. i'm going to make up a recipe in the same style, based on their recipe, but using what i have one hand.

Thanks, Triathlete!

i have a feeling this brew will be in the fermenter within a few weeks :D

in a few weeks? where to get the hops? seems like all three varieties are damn near impossible to find! Then again, you probly have a huge stock of hops hidden somehwere.

portski7 said:
in a few weeks? where to get the hops? seems like all three varieties are damn near impossible to find! Then again, you probly have a huge stock of hops hidden somehwere.
like i said, i just want something "to style"...i'm not brewing the exact recipe.

i do not have any of those hops, but i do have quite a stock. i also have a LHBS with a large supply if i wanted (they have all three hops available according to their website)

i think i might go with northern brewer for the bittering, tho...we'll see. i'll start working on the recipe when i get home :)

Triathlete said:
This is what I got directly from Stone Brewery about a month ago. Have not brewed it up yet, but will very soon. XI is by far one of my top favorites.

Stone 11th Anniversary Ale Recipe

Grain Bill:

90% pale malt

5% 60°L Crystal

5% Weyermann Carafa III Special

Hops:

Bittering at start of boil: 100% Chinook

Flavor hops added at end of boil or whirlpool: 50/50 blend of Simcoe and Amarillo

Target 120 IBU’s.

Ferment with good ale yeast. We used our house yeast.

Dry-Hop with 50/50 blend of Simcoe and Amarillo, use LOTS! (we used 1 ½ pounds per barrel).

Good luck and enjoy. Post up if you brew it, let us know how it is.

I'm a huge fan of Stone, and since I can't get their special releases in NH I would love to try and reproduce this one. I was able to pick up the XI Anniversary this fall when I was in MA and it was fantastic!

I've been playing with an extract interpretation, how does this look?

5 gal batch

Malts:
9 lbs Light DME
0.5 lbs Crystal 60L
0.5 lbs Carafa Special

Hops:
1 oz Chinook @ 60 min
0.75 Amarillo & 0.75 Simcoe @ 10 min

I'm just wondering how much Amarillo and Simcoe would qualify as "LOTS!" for dry hopping? Also, I think I'll have a hard time finding Simcoe, can anyone recommend a substitute? Magnum perhaps?

i read that cascade and centennial can be "substitutes" for simcoe. Not sure if it will be the same or not but could still make a very tasty beer!

xumbi said:
I'm just wondering how much Amarillo and Simcoe would qualify as "LOTS!" for dry hopping?

When I ran the numbers quickly, based on the ratio given in the original recipe, above, I came up with roughly 2 oz. of each for dry hopping.

TL

Here is what I worked up for an All Grain with Pro Mash:

5.5 gallon batch

15.25 lbs 2 row
14 oz Crystal 60L
14 oz Carafa Special

75% efficiency
SG = 1.082

2.5oz Chinook (13% alpha) - 90 min
1 oz Simcoe (13% alpha) - 0 min
1 oz Amarillo (10% alpha) - 0 min
1 oz Simcoe (13% alpha) - dry hop
1 oz Amarillo (10% alpha) - dry hop

Dry hop might be a bit less than they use (1.5lbs at 1 bbl --> appx 4 oz for 5 gallon batch). But it should be close.

Plan to brew this one soon, will probably pitch on top of yeast cake from a pale ale brewed with WLP001, or I may try culturing their yeast, I bought a case of this and still have several bottles...

the hop bill on things like this kills me... looks like this is gonna have to wait till hops cost less than drugs again...

Anyone try making this one yet? I may do it in about a month.

I don't quite have enough hops for their version but how about this for the hopping schedule.(also I though about throwing in a small flavour addition)

2-3 oz Chinook 90min
.5 each of Simcoe and Amarillo 20min
1 each of Simcoe and Amarillo 5min
.5 each of Simcoe and Amarillo dryhop

Okay,

Going to brew this up next week. The grain bill is pretty much set, but could use advice on the hop schedule. I am going to add some flavour additions. As well the original post I think said 120IBU's of chinook. My version right now has a bit less (90) but the simcoe and amirillo additions bring it up to about 130IBUS. Also, What would a good mash temp. be?

Here it is: (sorry about the odd measurements, this is converted from metric!)

5.5 gallons 90 minute boil

15.4 lbs 2-row
.88lbs Caramel 60
.88lbs Carafa special III

2.5 oz Chinook (90)
.5 oz each Amarillo and Simcoe (20)
.5 oz each Amarillo and Simcoe (10)
1 oz each Amarillo and Simcoe (5)
1 oz each Amarillo and Simcoe (dry hop)

Yeast cake of Wyeast 1056

Any input/suggestions would be greatly appreciated!!!

i got this in a recent swap...it was AWESOME! I saw it described on beer advocate as an "American Strong Ale"...it was roasty, hoppy and malty, but all very balanced...great brew.

i would also like to try this style! any ideas?

I still have 3 bottle from that case I bought.:mug:

Funny, I just found this today.
I've NEVER had any of the Stone brews, but they all sound awesome. I actually printed this one out so I could try a clone.
TastyBrew.com | Recipes
I found this yesterday. It looked so good that I started throwing together a recipe. Thanks for the link. It helps clear up some questions. Anyone brew from this recipe?

One question I have is about only having a 5 minute late hop addition. The Stone website says, “Flavor hops added at end of boil or whirlpool: 50/50 blend of Simcoe and Amarillo.” They are not specific about what “the end” means, but for a 90 minute boil, I was thinking of making flavor / aroma additions at 30-10-0-DH.

Another thing is hop substitutions. If I use what I have on hand I’d substitute Northern Brewer for the Chinook and Cascade for the Amarillo. Or should I pony up for the right one’s?

I am going to try the right hops. I spent a lot having them shipped to canada so this will be an expensive beer!!!! I better be good!! Check my hop schedule near the top of the page and let me know what you think.

Edit: ANy thoughts on mash temp?

Check my hop schedule near the top of the page and let me know what you think . . . . Any thoughts on mash temp?
Have you done this yet? I might give it a shot this weekend, but with hop the hop substitutions I mentioned earlier. Your schedule looks pretty close to what I planned.

This makes me think the mash should be around 152-154 to get the right amount of fermentables. What were you thinking?

I did brew this last week!! Can't comment on the results obviously, but this is what I did in the end for the hops.

2.5 oz Chinook (90) I aimed for about 85 IBS from this addition

Overall, IBU's should end up at 122 according to Beersmith

I actually scaled my recipe to hit about 1.080 and ended up right on. I was aiming to mash around 152 but actually undershot it a bit 150-151. Oh well, I just hope it won't end up thin tasting.

Can't wait to taste this!! Let me know how yours turns out!

I'm a huge fan of Stone, and since I can't get their special releases in NH I would love to try and reproduce this one. I was able to pick up the XI Anniversary this fall when I was in MA and it was fantastic!

I've been playing with an extract interpretation, how does this look?

5 gal batch

Malts:
9 lbs Light DME
0.5 lbs Crystal 60L
0.5 lbs Carafa Special

Hops:
1 oz Chinook @ 60 min
0.75 Amarillo & 0.75 Simcoe @ 10 min

I'm just wondering how much Amarillo and Simcoe would qualify as "LOTS!" for dry hopping? Also, I think I'll have a hard time finding Simcoe, can anyone recommend a substitute? Magnum perhaps?

would you want to use light or would pale be more appropriate. i am a total rookie so I could be wrong as ever.

So just to update anyone that is interested!

Transfered this to secondary for dry-hopping yesterday. It stayed in primary for about 4 weeks. A little longer than planned but there seem to be no ill effects. Hydrometer read 1.014 from 1.080. The sample we took tasted amazing!! It has been a long time since I originally tried the real thing (can't buy it in Montreal). My only variant to the original recipe posted was that I could only get Carafa special II instead of III. Also, I only had enough for 4% instead of 5%. Tastes great non the less. Here was my final recipe.

91% 2-row
5% Caramel 60
4% Carafa Special II

2.5 oz Chinook (90)

Yeast Cake of Wyeast 1056

MMMMMMMMMMMM. This isn't going to last long!!!!!!

i just brewed this last weekend for teach a friend day. It was shooting throught he blowoff tube within a few hours. I'll rack and dry hop in 2 weeks and take my readings. I'll let you all know how it turns out. I'm at work and don't have the recipe I used in front of me, but I did hit all my OG right on at I think 1.082, although i mashed a little warmer than intended, tried for 152, but got 154. And even though my Og was right on, beer alchemy calculated a 70% efficiency. oh well, only my second time above 60 or so, I love my new barley crusher!

Ya....I get around 70 as well. Not too worried about getting higher for the moment. I know lots of experienced brewers with sophisticated setups that get around 70 and sometimes worse. They make great beer though!

i get 70 or more with all of my setups. i love this beer...may have to try it. hit this thread back up when it's been in the bottle a couple of months and let us know how it goes!

I've brewed this one twice now, first time last March and it was fantastic and then again about 3 weeks ago.

The first batch was mashed at 154 and went from 1.077 to 1.016 with a WLP001 yeast cake. Taste was similar to the original (couldn't do a side-by-side test as I drank all that I had bought of the original) but was slightly lower in hop aroma.

The second batch I mashed at 152 and it went from 1.081 to 1.019 with starter built up with WLP060. Higher OG on the second batch is due to increased efficiency which I have attributed to running the grains through the barley crusher twice (have seen an average increase of 8% across 4 batches after doing this). I transferred this batch to secondary a couple of nights ago with 1 oz Amarillo and 1 oz Simcoe, it tasted good going in, will bottle a few and keg the rest in a couple of weeks. Attached are a few pics of this one on brew day.

First Runnings_1.jpg

Bringing to Boil_1.JPG

Fermentation_1.jpg

Kegged this one a couple of days ago and tried a pint tonight. Needs to sit and carbonate a bit longer but it is pretty tasty already, hop aroma and taste are good and close to what I remember of the Stone XI beer. Letting it sit and age will be difficult, same problem I had with the last batch. This is one of my favorites.

Pic is attached, not the best picture taker, that's my wife's department, so sorry about the quality.

IMG_3016_2.jpg

I made this recipe

5.5 gallon batch

15.25 lbs 2 row
14 oz Crystal 60L
14 oz Carafa Special

75% efficiency
SG = 1.082

2.5oz Chinook (13% alpha) - 90 min
1 oz Simcoe (13% alpha) - 0 min
1 oz Amarillo (10% alpha) - 0 min
1 oz Simcoe (13% alpha) - dry hop
1 oz Amarillo (10% alpha) - dry hop

us-05 pitched 57 fermented 63 went from 1.084 to 1.016
Drinking right now and it is very good and its only a week in the bottles, should be really good later.

I am actually sipping on my supercharged clone right now...OMG it's good, incredibly bitter and hoppy, but very balanced. I bought 3 cases of the XI clone when it was out, incredibly good beer, i think i did it justice with this recipe. seems to me that i used more sparge water than the recipe calls for.

Type: All Grain
Date: 12/6/2008
Batch Size: 11.00 gal
Brewer: Luke
Boil Size: 14.24 gal Asst Brewer:
Boil Time: 150 min Equipment: my 1st setup
Taste Rating(out of 50): 35.0 Brewhouse Efficiency: 69.00

Ingredients

Amount Item Type % or IBU
40.00 lb Pale Malt (2 Row) US (2.0 SRM) Grain 88.89 %
2.00 lb Carafa III (475.0 SRM) Grain 4.44 %
2.00 lb Caramel/Crystal Malt - 60L (60.0 SRM) Grain 4.44 %
1.00 lb Caramel/Crystal Malt -120L (120.0 SRM) Grain 2.22 %
10.00 oz Galena [14.20 %] (60 min) Hops 145.2 IBU
1.00 oz Cascade [8.00 %] (15 min) Hops 4.1 IBU
1.00 oz Magnum [13.60 %] (15 min) Hops 7.7 IBU
1.00 oz Simcoe [11.90 %] (15 min) Hops 6.7 IBU
1.00 oz Simcoe [11.90 %] (10 min) Hops 4.9 IBU
1.00 oz Cascade [8.00 %] (10 min) Hops 3.0 IBU
1.00 oz Cascade [8.00 %] (5 min) Hops 1.6 IBU
1.00 oz Simcoe [11.90 %] (5 min) Hops 2.7 IBU
1.00 oz Cascade [8.00 %] (1 min) (Aroma Hop-Steep) Hops -
1.00 oz Simcoe [11.90 %] (1 min) (Aroma Hop-Steep) Hops -
3.00 oz Simcoe [11.90 %] (Dry Hop 48 days) Hops -
3.00 oz Amarillo Gold [8.20 %] (Dry Hop 48 days) Hops -
0 Pkgs California Ale (White Labs #WLP001) [Starter 23000 ml] Yeast-Ale

Beer Profile

Est Original Gravity: 1.102 SG
Measured Original Gravity: 1.102 SG
Est Final Gravity: 1.019 SG Measured Final Gravity: 1.019 SG
Estimated Alcohol by Vol: 10.88 % Actual Alcohol by Vol: 10.91 %
Bitterness: 175.9 IBU Calories: 477 cal/pint
Est Color: 38.8 SRM Color: Color

Mash Profile

Mash Name: Single Infusion, Medium Body, Batch Sparge Total Grain Weight: 45.00 lb
Sparge Water: 5.58 gal Grain Temperature: 72.0 F
Sparge Temperature: 168.0 F TunTemperature: 72.0 F
Adjust Temp for Equipment: TRUE Mash PH: 5.2 PH

Single Infusion, Medium Body, Batch Sparge Step Time Name Description Step Temp
90 min Mash In Add 56.25 qt of water at 162.6 F 149.0 F
30 min Step Decoct 10.31 qt of mash and boil it 158.0 F

Latest posts

Back