Beersmith 1 Gal extract giving BAD NUMBERS

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

laserghost

Reaction score
I'm not sure what I'm missing here. In Beersmith, I'm trying to build a 1 gal batch recipe using DME. On paper, the grain bill is easy:

I want 1 gal of 1.050 wort in the jug, and expect a 1.25 gal post-boil volume, so (45 pts * x lbs) / 1.25 gal = 50 pts.

Easy, I need 1.39 lbs of DME for this brew right?

+++++++++++++

But when I enter everything in Beersmith it's telling me my OG will be 1.062! What? How? Looks like it's calculating it based on the batch size (into fermentor) rather than the post-boil volume, which can't be right?

Are my settings out of whack somewhere?

Here's screen shots of my recipe design and equipment profile.

2013-09-12 08.36.31 am.jpg

2013-09-12 08.52.01 am.jpg

yep. That is how it has always been. Do a search on the forum, there are many threads talking about it. Just get rid of the amount lost to trub and change the batch size into fermenter to what you want post boil. That is how I do all my recipes.

so if i'm using the workaround (trub loss = 0) brewing with extract, i'd set my "brewhouse efficiency" (now into kettle efficiency) to 100% ?

I believe that is how you would want to do it. Just make sure your OG numbers are right by checking them with hand calculations to first time. There are certain things about beersmith that could be fixed. The whole efficiency issue is one of them.

Back