Sour orange juice flavor

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jamursch

Reaction score
I've been trying to create a shandy lately but when I use zest it ends up giving my beer an aroma more like a carton of orange juice gone sour. Anyway I can counter this aroma/flavor somehow by making additions to the beer in the finished keg? I'm ok with it being very citrusy so adding lemonade might help if it will override that sour flavor?!

Help please!

How much zest are you using? What malt and how much? What hops and how much? What yeast?

Lemonade will just make it sour and bitter. For a proper Shandy you need to adjust the adjuncts and malt/hops/yeast otherwise you will make the BMC take on it. IAW, a crap beer that tastes like a beer mixed with lemonade.

How much zest are you using? What malt and how much? What hops and how much? What yeast?

Lemonade will just make it sour and bitter. For a proper Shandy you need to adjust the adjuncts and malt/hops/yeast otherwise you will make the BMC take on it. IAW, a crap beer that tastes like a beer mixed with lemonade.

I've tried it a few ways, but my latest fail uses:

5 gallon batch:
3.3 lbs of Wheat LME
3 lbs of Light DME

.5 oz of Motueka at 60 mins
.5 oz of Motueka at 15 mins
.5 oz. each of Lemon & Orange Zest at 5 mins
.5 oz Amarillo at flame out

California Ale Yeast (WLP001)

THEN after 2 weeks I had very little shandy flavor so I added:
The zest of:
1 grapefruit
2 oranges
2 lemons

This is when the sourness started.

A local brewery here (Hopp'n Frog) makes a beer called (Turbo Shandy) that is very light and refreshing and very citrusy. I've heard they use Citric Acid to achieve this but found it more common in wine that beer therefore there's no real suggested way to use it. In order to achieve that level of Shandiness I'm starting to realize I won't get there with natural ingredients, thus might need to use Lemonade that has the Citric Acid in it.

Thoughts on all of this craziness I've got going on here?

Back