Pitch rate for cool fermented ale ?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jfr1111

Reaction score
I brewed a Brown Porter on Sunday (actually Orfy's recipe, with a touch less crystal) and I chose to ferment it with US-05. Since my wyeast 1768 bitter finished fruity and the Windsor bitter I brewed right afterward ended up being a fruit bomb (might even be a tad too much, we'll see after it carbs properly), I figured a non-estery beer might make for a welcomed change of pace.

The SG of the beer was 1.048 for 19L. I pitched a whole pack yesterday around 11:00 AM @ 58F, so low range for this strain, but workable. I rehydrated per the instructions. The lag phase was a tad long compared to my experience with the yeast.

This leads me to ask: since I'm planning on making a couple of faux lagers with ale yeast in the near future (probably wy1007 or US-05), would I be better off using lager pitching rates (or slightly less) to insure a healthy colony of non-stressed yeast ? I know 24 hours isn't the end of the world, and I don't want any cut and paste quotes telling me so, but since we are pitching/fermenting a good deal colder than usual ale temperatures maybe elevated pitchign rates would be called for.

Did you make a starter? Underpitching will cause esters and off flavors and contribute a long lag time.

Nevermind. Read us05

Just saw the "hybrid" setting playing with Mr Malty. It tells me I would need 1.1 pouches of dry yeast for about 50billions cells more.

/thread.

Back