Blonde Ale Bitter Blonde

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

greencoat

Reaction score
Recipe Type
All Grain
Yeast
WLP 001
Yeast Starter
If you insist
Batch Size (Gallons)
Original Gravity
Final Gravity
Boiling Time (Minutes)
IBU
LOL
Color
3.7 SRM
Primary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
3 weeks @65
Secondary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
Nope
Tasting Notes
Plenty of hop flavor without tongue-scraping bitterness.
This recipe is calculated at 68% efficiency.

I'm extremely happy with the way it turned out - dry and medium-light bodied, with a lasting head. Easily my favorite beer I've ever made. Grain bill of a blonde, more hops than many IPAs. I kicked the five gallon batch in just under two weeks!

Captain Greencoat's Bitter Blonde

4.5 lb 2-Row
2.7 lb Maris Otter
1 lb CaraPils

Mash @ 152*F for 75 min
Mash in w/ 3.1 gal @ 163*F, rest for 75 min.
Sparge w/ 4.6 gal @ 176*F.

BOIL TIME!

60 minute boil

0.5 oz Cascade (7.5% aa) @ 60 min
1.5 oz Cascade (7.5% aa) @ 20 min
2 oz Cascade (7.5% aa) @ 15 min
Irish Moss @ 15 min
1 oz Centennial (11.6% aa) @ 10 min
1 oz Centennial (11.6% aa) @ 5 min

Ferment at 65*F for 3 weeks, no secondary needed.

This stuff is deliciously drinkable, and at ~4.2%ABV, you can have plenty of pints. I'll be brewing this one again as soon as I've got the carboy space open. BrewPal calculates it at 91IBUs, but there's no way that's possible. It's got TONS of hop flavor, but just the right amount of bitterness.

Cheers!

I'm brewing a second batch of this right now, but using Amarillo and Simcoe as well as Cascade. I love how this beer showcases hop flavors without being super bitter. Cheers!

Sadly, no. The first batch came and went so quickly I didn't even think about photos. After my current batch is done carbing, I'll throw a pint shot up.

I think its because most of your hop additions are in the flavor/aroma addition timeline. I am intrigued by the IBU's being so high yet you saying its not so bitter. How'd the simcoe come out?

I think its because most of your hop additions are in the flavor/aroma addition timeline. I am intrigued by the IBU's being so high yet you saying its not so bitter. How'd the simcoe come out?

I'm drinking a pint of the simcoe variation right now - it's really tasty! Again, it isn't overly bitter at all. I gave my BMC boss a bottle after he found out I was a homebrewer, now he's wanting to "donate" to my brewery for a growler fill.

That said - I think I'll stick with the cascade/centennial version from now on, but playing with the other hops was fun.

That's awesome to hear that your BMC boss liked your bitter blonde. Honestly, I don't blame you going back to the original hops you had used. Sometimes its not all about the grapefruit flavored hops. I was all about Simcoe, Warrior, Amarillo and such until I got stationed here in England. I have found that there are some very flavorful hops like my favorite challenger, then whitbread goldings variety, hallertau hersbrucker & mittlefruh. I craft a flagship brew called Copperhead for my masses with challenger hops. How long from grain to glass on this craft?

Here's a pint of the Amarillo/Cascade/Simcoe batch. I took a growler to my last club meeting, people seemed to dig it!

ZrGpm.jpg

I finally got around to brewing this again, except using the new WLP 090 yeast. I'm drinking the first fully-carbed pint from the keg. I forgot how much I love this beer! The MO really came through this time and it's wonderful. I'd recommend this recipe to a friend.

this recipe is calculated at 68% efficiency.

I'm extremely happy with the way it turned out - dry and medium-light bodied, with a lasting head. Easily my favorite beer i've ever made. Grain bill of a blonde, more hops than many ipas. I kicked the five gallon batch in just under two weeks!

Captain greencoat's bitter blonde

4.5 lb 2-row
2.7 lb maris otter
1 lb carapils

mash @ 152*f for 75 min
mash in w/ 3.1 gal @ 163*f, rest for 75 min.
Sparge w/ 4.6 gal @ 176*f.

Boil time!

60 minute boil

0.5 oz cascade (7.5% aa) @ 60 min
1.5 oz cascade (7.5% aa) @ 20 min
2 oz cascade (7.5% aa) @ 15 min
irish moss @ 15 min
1 oz centennial (11.6% aa) @ 10 min
1 oz centennial (11.6% aa) @ 5 min

ferment at 65*f for 3 weeks, no secondary needed.

This stuff is deliciously drinkable, and at ~4.2%abv, you can have plenty of pints. I'll be brewing this one again as soon as i've got the carboy space open. Brewpal calculates it at 91ibus, but there's no way that's possible. It's got tons of hop flavor, but just the right amount of bitterness.

Cheers!

s

Anyone have an Extract or Partial Mash version of this one. Might be a nice beer for the wife, she likes light bitter beer (her favourite is a Bitter Rye).

Anyone have an Extract or Partial Mash version of this one. Might be a nice beer for the wife, she likes light bitter beer (her favourite is a Bitter Rye).

I'd do a partial mash, but just replace the 2-Row with a can of the lightest LME you can find. The MO won't have any issues converting itself.

I have been looking for something that has good hop flavor, but is lighter...this seems perfect. I just placed order for my lhbs. I cant wait to brew and have this!

Back