How long to wait before bottling?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bacchusuga

Reaction score
I have read and talked to people about how long to wait before bottling and have gotten lots of different responses. I understand there isn't necessarily a "right" answer, but I was wondering what effect shortening or lengthening the time would have. My first brew, an ESB, was boiled last monday and stayed in the primary until yesterday when I racked it. I was planning on leaving it in the secondary for a week or two. Any thoughts?

For average gravity brews you are looking at 4 weeks before you bottle. Some do it sooner, some wait longer. I suggest you start with 4 weeks total (leave your ESB for another 2-3 weeks in secondary) if you can hold out and adjust your next batch as you wish.

Higher gravity beers tend to take longer for all the flavors to "meld".

A few weeks anyway, then condition for a few weeks, too, to get a beter beer.

B

Problem with shortening 1) bottle bombs. mopping ceiling comes to mind. 2) fusels. off flavors due to yeast not cleaning and beer being "green".

i have some ESB in the primary at this point. two week minimum and then dry hop for 1-2 more weeks. (for good aroma)

I hadn't planned on dry hopping. Do you have a recommendation as to what variety and how much to use? I used 1 oz of Williamette (45 min), 1 oz Golding (20 min), 1 oz Williamette (end). Also, do you just add it into the carboy?

I ended up using 1 oz of Kent Golding after it'd been in the secondary for a week. Probably bottle after another week or two.

I've compared my brew's to my buddies; he seems to rush everything and mine always turn out substationally better (seriously...)

3-4 weeks in the Primary only (68 degrees)
3-4 weeks in the bottle.... (68 degrees)

If you do everything right (exact right temps and all), 10 days in primaries and then into bottles for 2-3 weeks is enough for something like a typical pale ale--that's close to what commercial places do. I've had hefes and milds come out very well indeed with 10 days in primary and 9 days in the bottle. But for most beers, leaving it in primary for a while longer won't hurt and may help considerably; in a typical homebrew setup where you might be a degree or three off of optimal, 3 weeks in primary and then into bottles for 3 weeks before drinking will do you well for a lot of pretty "regular" beers.

Bigger beers or ones with extra additions may take longer; I wouldn't rush a big RIS, barleywine, or Belgian dark (to name a few). And for extreme cases (e.g. a true sour like a kriek, aged out and then fruited) you could easily be looking at 18+ months before they're really drinkable.

Maybe I rush things but I've been averaging 1 week primary and 1 to 2 weeks secondary for most of my beers. I usually bottle once the F.G. is reached and stable then bottle condition for as long as I can stand to wait before drinking them.

Maybe I rush things but I've been averaging 1 week primary and 1 to 2 weeks secondary for most of my beers. I usually bottle once the F.G. is reached and stable then bottle condition for as long as I can stand to wait before drinking them.

Same amount of time as a lot of people, but doing 3 weeks in primary and then bottling (no secondary) seems to make better beer for a lot of us than moving it around after a week. There are lots of threads on the topic, even people like John Palmer (author of How to Brew) and Jamil Z (multi-time homebrewer of the year winner) have stopped using secondaries for most beers.

I realize there are many different views on the subject.

I recently listened to an older episode of Basic Brewing Radio with an interview with Dave Logsdon from Wyeast. He said he likes to keep it in only a primary vessel until fermentation is complete in 7 to 10 days (if yeast is prepared and pitched properly) and then chill the fermenter for a few days to clear it and then prime each bottle and go straight from the fermenter to the bottle within 14 days of pitching.

Is there any problem with dry hopping in the primary?

If you want to reuse the yeast it's not a good idea.
I have read a few things it might make a difference in the flavor end up with in the finished beer. That would be something you would have to taste test on to determine if it's something you like or not.

Back