newbie to keg brewing

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

psychocandy

Reaction score
hey all,

i've been brewing for a while, but due to space and $$$ limitations, have never gotten a keg set-up. i had an idea to brew a full keg (15.5 gallons, right?) for my wedding. as i've never done this, i'm not sure how to go about this. i have a plan though, and would love some (more) expert advice.

plan:
1. brew 3 batches of the same beer in a row into three 5 gallon carboys/buckets for primary fermentation.
2. after primary fermentation, rack into carboys (again) for secondary fermentation. i know it's not necessary for a lot of beers, but it's what i'm used to (and it gets rid of some sediment).
3. after secondary fermentation, "bottle" it into the keg with priming sugar and let it sit until the wedding.

if i understand correctly, the beer will carbonate in the keg and i will be able to use one of those frat party style taps to serve the beer.

if i understand correctly, this is the way to do a keg if you don't have a carbonation set up. also, i don't have one of those jet stoves and a huge pot. so that's why i figure the best thing to do would be to brew three five gallon batches in a row (i know, it'll take ALL DAY).

how does this plan sound to you folk?

hey all,

i've been brewing for a while, but due to space and $$$ limitations, have never gotten a keg set-up. i had an idea to brew a full keg (15.5 gallons, right?) for my wedding. as i've never done this, i'm not sure how to go about this. i have a plan though, and would love some (more) expert advice.

plan:
1. brew 3 batches of the same beer in a row into three 5 gallon carboys/buckets for primary fermentation.
2. after primary fermentation, rack into carboys (again) for secondary fermentation. i know it's not necessary for a lot of beers, but it's what i'm used to (and it gets rid of some sediment).
3. after secondary fermentation, "bottle" it into the keg with priming sugar and let it sit until the wedding.

if i understand correctly, the beer will carbonate in the keg and i will be able to use one of those frat party style taps to serve the beer.

if i understand correctly, this is the way to do a keg if you don't have a carbonation set up. also, i don't have one of those jet stoves and a huge pot. so that's why i figure the best thing to do would be to brew three five gallon batches in a row (i know, it'll take ALL DAY).

how does this plan sound to you folk?

Sounds workable Its best to have it on ice for a few days to let it set clear etc and than when at the wedding give it a while for the sediment to resettle. be there for the tapping so the yeasty first pints can be distributed to the hefe fans;)

Back