Hefeweizen blow offs

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BrewProject

Reaction score
I have read from numerous members around here that Hefeweizen's have a tendancy to blow off. it has me a bit timid about using an airlock on my primary bucket this upcoming weekend.

I am brewing AHB's Bavarian Hefeweizen... and several people have mentioned they had blow offs with that kit and other Hefe recipes.

my question is;
can i just use my 5/16" siphon hose out of my rubber grommet on my plastic bucket, or should i invest in a carboy and use a bigger diameter blow off hose?

i really don't wanna go buy a carboy this week, but if the smaller diameter hose is gonna cause me trouble then i guess i will have too...

You should be fine just using your 5/16" tubing stuck into the grommet in the bucket lid. I have heard of many people doing this. If you are really concerned about it you could get some Foam Control Drops and never worry about it again. I must say that I have still had blow offs using the foam control, but it is less than it would have been, and I do use 6 gallon Better-Bottles for my primaries and they have less head space than a fermenting bucket.

John

johnsma22 said:
You should be fine just using your 5/16" tubing stuck into the grommet in the bucket lid. I have heard of many people doing this. If you are really concerned about it you could get some Foam Control Drops and never worry about it again. I must say that I have still had blow offs using the foam control, but it is less than it would have been, and I do use 6 gallon Better-Bottles for my primaries and they have less head space than a fermenting bucket.

John

thanks johnsma22,

that's what i was hoping you guys would say.

if i have a non-controlled blow off in the mine and SWMBO's closet my brewing career could have come to an early end... just wanna be prepared...

one more question:
should i wait until the airlock has activity to push the blow off hose in place or just start with the blow off hose...?

thanks again :mug:

It won't hurt anything to start off with the blow off tube in there. I always just assume I will get a blow off and start with it in place. If I don't get one I used to put the airlock back, but now I just leave the blow off tube in there until I'm ready to rack it. Just be sure that the blow off tube is sitting in a container of water or sanitizer solution.

Oh, also, with a blow off tube that small I would check it often to make sure that it does not get plugged up. I wouldn't want to be around if you had an eruption on your wife's clothing!

John

homebrewer_99 said:
If you have 5" of space above your brew in the primary you should be safe.;)

i have read of several here that had blow offs with Hefe beers. really don't remember what size their primaries were. mine is 6.5 gallons, so i hope that is all good..

johnsma22 said:
It won't hurt anything to start off with the blow off tube in there. I always just assume I will get a blow off and start with it in place. If I don't get one I used to put the airlock back, but now I just leave the blow off tube in there until I'm ready to rack it. Just be sure that the blow off tube is sitting in a container of water or sanitizer solution.

Oh, also, with a blow off tube that small I would check it often to make sure that it does not get plugged up. I wouldn't want to be around if you had an eruption on your wife's clothing!

John

thanks again for the input... appreciate it :mug:

Had lot's of blow-off with my recent Hefe. And to be honest, I typically use only a blow-off tube for my primaries. I mean...it's an airlock if the end of the tube is submersed in water so why F with it?

Exo said:
Had lot's of blow-off with my recent Hefe. And to be honest, I typically use only a blow-off tube for my primaries. I mean...it's an airlock if the end of the tube is submersed in water so why F with it?

exactly, that's my plan... ;)

There has got to be a joke in there about a blow off tube, an eruption and your wife's clothing, but I can't seem to put it all together.

troybinso said:

There has got to be a joke in there about a blow off tube, an eruption and your wife's clothing, but I can't seem to put it all together.

more dirty brewing double talk... blow off, eruption, wife's clothes, i can picture it :ban: :rockin: :D

I use pieces of retired 5/16 hose for blowoffs because they are impossible to clean once the krausen is dried inside. I just toss them.

BrewProject said:
more dirty brewing double talk... blow off, eruption, wife's clothes, i can picture it :ban: :rockin: :D

If the wife smelled like beer that may be an afrodesiac. :rockin:

troybinso said:

How about: If your blow off tube gets plugged up, it could erupt all over your wifes clothing

chillHayze said:
I use pieces of retired 5/16 hose for blowoffs because they are impossible to clean once the krausen is dried inside. I just toss them.

that's something i will have to consider.

i once read something on here where someone had developed a method for cleaning the inside of a 5/16" siphon tube, but i can't find it or remember what they wrote.

i guess running very hot water or soaking in very hot water wouldn't do the job.

i always have a few water spots in mine too and that has always bugged me...

anyway thanks for the comments... :mug:

troybinso said:

That's too funny guys. When I typed those words I did not even notice the clear sexual connotation! I must be getting old! Thanks for the huge laugh. :mug:

With regard to cleaning blow off crud out of 5/16" siphon tubing, or any tubing for that matter, I have yet to find crud of any kind that can stand up to an overnight soak in a hot PBW solution. Just let it soak, rinse, done!

John

johnsma22 said:
That's too funny guys. When I typed those words I did not even notice the clear sexual connotation! I must be getting old! Thanks for the huge laugh. :mug:

With regard to cleaning blow off crud out of 5/16" siphon tubing, or any tubing for that matter, I have yet to find crud of any kind that can stand up to an overnight soak in a hot PBW solution. Just let it soak, rinse, done!

John

PBW? :confused:

BrewProject said:
4b_1.JPG

Thanks chill, sorry Brew, that's Powdered Brewery Wash. It's the best thing since sliced bread, and Star-San of course. Like I said, I have found no crud that can stand up to it. Just a hot soak, little to no scrubbing required. Some people don't think that it is worth the cost, but I would not be one of them.

John

Latest posts

Back