Um, what did I buy? (plate chiller thing)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Anyway, I guess I could use it like a copper cooler and just plop it in my wort right?

If only one liquid can flow through it that may be the way to do it.

At least it didn't cost too much. $12.50 is cheaper than any immersion chiller I've ever seen.

Here's a pic
BrI0CY_BGk_KGrHqMOKi0Eu_WgHSwgBLyc1_2b3Q_12.JPG

yeah, that's why im not too upset at myself. It's clean and the ad said new never used, so I think I'll just hook it up to a hose and use it that way.

basically a passive radiator (for some kind of fluid). it was probably intended to be at the front end of a vehicle, or part of some system that had a fan blowing air over it.

yeah you could probably clean it up and use it like a immersion chiller. but you will probably need to create some movement in the wort so it flows around the housing and cools efficiently. i guess if you trusted the cleanliness of the inside, it could try using it in a jockey-box fashion (i.e., pump hot wort through it while its submerged in an ice bath)

have fun!

the only question is... how clean is it inside, should I use it as a jockey box or an immersion chiller... thoughts anyone?

It says it could be used for "beer and wort chilling" right in the description....

pack it in a cooler with some water, ton of ice and some salt and then pump wort through it?

It states it is new in box. Run hot PBW/Star San and away you go. Why not use QD's and use it as an immersion chiller when convenient and a jockey box when you need it. You won't often be using both.

Based on the description I would assume it has ports on the bottom side, otherwise the description is BS. Bake it on the oven clean cycle, rinse and use.

To me, this looks like a unit designed for more industrial versus food use. Thus, I would not use it in direct contact with my wort or beer as it could contain metals that could leach out and be harmful to you or the yeast. It could be used to chill water you plan on circulating thru an immersion chiller as suggested. Just because the seller mentions wort or beer does not mean they are qualified to designate it for food grade use unless they provide such documentation.

Just my opinion. :eek:

Dr Malt :mug:

When you look at it, it seems to be some kind of coated copper. It's pretty heavy. It'd be nice to figure out what it is made out of though.

And yes, that description was fradulent. It said it was for two liquids to exchange heat. I don't know what that thing is, it's not a heat exchanger its a radiator.

When you look at it, it seems to be some kind of coated copper. It's pretty heavy. It'd be nice to figure out what it is made out of though.

And yes, that description was fradulent. It said it was for two liquids to exchange heat. I don't know what that thing is, it's not a heat exchanger its a radiator.

Well, the description would be correct IF you are pumping one fluid through it, and it was surrounded by another "COLD" fluid.

Thats how I see it working. Pump hot wort through it as it is submerges into an ice bath.

I would only use it as a pre-chiller.

It could have lead in it, or any number of toxic metals used in its construction or coatings.

I do think it would make a terrific pre-chiller placed in a mop bucket of ice water!
Pez.

I am sorry you did not understand what the unit is. If you look at the two ports on the unit you will see that there is rubber seal washers that seal the unit within a radiator when the two pal nuts are tightened. It is made to work exactly as the trans cooler inside the radiator of your car. It is a liquid to liquid heat exchanger. The unit cost almost $300.00 when purchased new, and I built aluminum housings for them with 1.5" in/out hose conections as a balance between the engine oil and water temp for indy cars. I am amazed it sold for only $12.00. If it was an external unit it would have been aluminum not stainless. Again sorry for the missunderstanding.

That's what the guy wrote, he says it's stainless

The unit is made from 316 stainless and is copper brazed in a vacum furnace. It is safe for any human consumable liquid once it has been sterilized in boiling water. The unit can be heated to 400 degrees F (it actualy takes about 900 degrees to soften the copper braze) it also can stand up to 300psi continuis pressure. Just as an example the unit has the same copper used to braze the unit as what is in your home hot water plumbing system.

I think I'm going to use it as an immersion cooler, seems safe enough right?

It says it could be used for "beer and wort chilling" right in the description....

pack it in a cooler with some water, ton of ice and some salt and then pump wort through it?

+1 on this, and the cold plate is nice too...use it in both ways :D, its stainless, also any of you guys use your inmersion chiller as a chilling coil for a jockey box?

Back