WLP001 OK at 63-65 degrees?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cweston

Reaction score
I have trouble with fermentation temps this time of year: it's a little too warm in the mainfloor location that I use in the winter, but the basement is still a little too cool.

I have a high shelf in the basement that runs around 65 this time of year, but will get down to 62 or 63 if the weather is cool. White Labs says the ideal range for 001 only goes down to 68.

What do you think...any experience with using this yeast a little below the listed temp range? I know it will start OK when the yeast is generating it's own heat: I'm more worried about getting a high FG, though.

cweston said:
I have trouble with fermentation temps this time of year: it's a little too warm in the mainfloor location that I use in the winter, but the basement is still a little too cool.

I have a high shelf in the basement that runs around 65 this time of year, but will get down to 62 or 63 if the weather is cool. White Labs says the ideal range for 001 only goes down to 68.

What do you think...any experience with using this yeast a little below the listed temp range? I know it will start OK when the yeast is generating it's own heat: I'm more worried about getting a high FG, though.

Just because they say the ideal range is 68 doesn't mean it won't work outside the ideal. Wyeast 1056 is supposed to be the same strain and they list it good down to 60.
It's kinda like the best by date on most products. The product doesn't go bad on the listed date like clockwork.
Your temps should work out fine.

If you are below the recommended temp range it'll just take longer to ferment. At the same time, if it's too warm it'll go faster.

The problem with both of those conditions is the result the temps will have on the brew.

Latest posts

Back