Spent Grain - Bread

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I never brewed with flaked rice but I have used rice hulls to facilitate the sparge...I highly recommend you NOT to make bread if rice hulls are involved. Unless you like chewing razor blades! That's my experience anyhow...

I usually know my way around the kitchen pretty good, but I'm not one to be successful making bread. Can anyone shoot me a recipe using those grains I posted above? Nothing big, just something to experiment with.

Also, quite obviously baking is not on my mind when I got a thousand things to do and wash on brew day. Do I simply just put the grains in a covered bowl in the fridge till I get ready to bake them up?

You can follow the recipes in the first post or mine at #159.
The link below shows the bread making process. Follow the process but use the ingredients from the posts. You don't have to use a loaf pan if you do not want to Just make a ball with the dough, put the ball on a baking sheet that has some corn meal. Cover the ball and let it rise. I usually bake at 350f for 30 mins. for a loaf.
http://www.thesimpledollar.com/homemade-bread-cheap-delicious-healthy-and-easier-than-you-think/

We have some spent grain from yesterday's brew day we are going to make bread with.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Yes, you can save in the fridge for a couple days (I wouldn't go too much past 3. Your nose will tell you!) or the freezer for much longer.
I would recommend saving more than you need in something shaped so that they can continue to drain and you can bake with just the drier grains from the top. I find that "soppy" grains add an unpredictable amount of moisture making getting the moisure right very difficult. If you want to use the "wort" that drains (for flavor), I recommend using it as part of the measured liquid. Sometimes I even store mashed grain in a sieve over a bowl for a day (especially if you scoop them out while they're still hot).

I use a bread machine to make it simple. I often make 2 or 3 loaves and freeze a couple. My bread usually caves in while baking but lets face it, you're not going to get Wonder Bread here! It's dense stuff. I add 2 cups of spent grain per loaf. It makes great toast!

One last tip...if you freeze it, there's a magic point during the thaw where it is perfect for slicing the entire loaf.

I dry the grains on cookie sheets in a 200F oven. Then cool & store in zip lock freezer bags in the pantry. I label them for what beer they were used to make.

Been using the OP's recipe and SWMBO has never been happier. Froze some of the grain from my last batch to make a warm loaf to enjoy when the Red Hook comes of age. :)

I followed this recipe as posted # 12 of this thread.
3 cups spent grain
5 cups bread flour (approximate)
1 Tbsp salt
1/3 cup brown sugar
1 cup homemade Irish Stout
2 Tbsp vegetable oil
1 pkg dry baking yeast
1/2 tsp sugar
1/2 cup warm (112*F) water
Pinch of cornmeal

:mug:

This was my first try at making bread from scratch and it came out great. Be advised that you will create a roughly 3.7 pound loaf of bread with this recipe. It is huge!

I even did the water spray stuff for the first 20 minutes. Came out wonderful and crusty, the family enjoyed it. We had it with soup.. it is a bit heavy for sandwiches. Maybe it could make great french toast when stale?

My spent grains were 75% C-40 and 25% Special B. So there was definitely some 'dark malt' taste in the bread. When hot and fresh, the bread smelled like mashed grains - I enjoyed it. See the pics below. - I will do this again at some point.

Bread Top.jpg

Bread Inside.jpg

Yesterday I finally got the SWMBO interested in helping me brew. As we were setting up to mash I mentioned this thread about using spent grains to bake bread.
She all of a sudden got really interested in the mashing process asking how long until it's done and so on. Once she got her hands on the spent grains she forgot we were brewing. Had nice hot fresh bread with dinner..........

Yesterday I finally got the SWMBO interested in helping me brew. As we were setting up to mash I mentioned this thread about using spent grains to bake bread.
She all of a sudden got really interested in the mashing process asking how long until it's done and so on. Once she got her hands on the spent grains she forgot we were brewing. Had nice hot fresh bread with dinner..........

Nice connection you created there :ban: :ban:

Some of the tastiest mashes (wheat, rye, oats, pumpkin) usually also need to include rice hulls, which sadly makes them useless for bread. I won't even feed them to the goats with those hulls in there, for fear of them harming their intestines. I have no proof of that, just a "gut feeling," those hulls are like needles.

This will likely creep SWMBO out, but if you let the mash sour a bit it makes even better bread.

Thanks for the heads up on the rice hulls. Haven't used rice yet. Good idea on the souring the mash. Will try that next.

Thanks for the heads up on the rice hulls. Haven't used rice yet. Good idea on the souring the mash. Will try that next.

Cooked or flaked rice can be, and is used in large amounts (e.g., Budweiser, Coors) in the mash without any problems. They are one of the trademarks of American Light Lager.

The rice hulls, however, are a different story. They are used as a lautering aid in sticky mashes, and leave no other contributions to the mash, totally inert, but they ruin your appetite for eating or re-using the mash by their rough, dry, hard fibery texture.

Last edited:

I will sour quickly if left in a bowl at room temps (or higher) for a day or 2. Make sure to lay some plastic wrap directly and tightly on the grain, or stick it in a plastic bag, so air can't get to it. Oxygen and mash create weird flavors and odors (e.g., butyric acid), all known to those who "forgot" to clean the mash tun for a few days or longer.

Ok great thanks. Sounds like it's worth the little effort for better bread....
The rice hull I think I can live without.

Here is a recipe I developed to make bread for a local brewery for a special event they used it for making corned beef sliders.

I've made it with dark beer and IPA. One tip is to bring the beer to just almost a boil to get the alcohol to evaporate or it will inhibit the bread yeast from proofing.

If you use wort, skip the sugar.

460g Beer or Wort
730 g Flour
60 g Dried Spent Grain
1 Tbsp salt
1 Tbsp Sugar
1 Tbsp Yeast (saf red)
1/4 c olive oil

Mix dough, knead for 10 minutes, Will result in very wet dough.

Let rise till doubled. During first rise the grains will start to adsorb liquid which will firm up the dough.

Turn out, divide into 2 balls, allow ot rest 20 minutes.

Shape into 2 18" loaves. Proof for 45 minutes or overnight in refrigerator.

Egg white wash and slash loaves before baking @400 for ~35 minutes.

Made the second recipe listed on the thread last week after brewing my Munich Helles. Instead of the Irish stout, I used a chocolate milk stout I had brewed awhile back. Used a food processor to mince up the grains a bit.

Turned out amazing!!! Even made three additional loaves to give out to the neighbors.

Also made some buns for burgers that we used a few days later. Turned out alright, but a little dense. Might do some extra kneading next time to the buns to make them fluffier.

IMG_0998[1].jpg

I dry the grains in the oven, then grind into flour in my Mr Coffee burr grinder. so added rice hulls in that case might be rendered moot? Wife tossed my German grains where one batch had rice hulls used. I really need my own fridge/freezer...

Back