Complete N00b

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hansonian

Reaction score
after much foot dragging and research i've finally decided to start brewing my own beer. :ban: i'm not completely new to brewing (i learned to make moonshine from my grandfather) but i have some questions about what i'll need to brew beer.

i've seen a lot of different starter kits and was wanting some input on what to avoid (besides Mr. Beer) and what i should definitely get. i've noticed some kits come with a glass carboy and some have a plastic bucket. i'm assuming they both accomplish the same task but is there a difference in the quality of the end product? are there certain types of beer that are easier for a new person to brew? are there other little tools or things i should buy that make things easier? is there any forum members in the tampa area who would like to show a newbie how it's done?

i appreciate any input and advice.

First, read through this thread:

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/showthread.php?t=54362

This has a lot of good info.

I have a couple of glass carboys plus a big plastic tub. I like the tub for primaries and the carboys for secondaries. I used the tub successfully and for quite a while before I ever needed a carboy for a secondary. I would always suggest buying a kit with a plastic fermenter only (it should run about $70 - $100 depending on what else get) and something like a Brewers Best kit. You can buy empty bottles but I usually recommend that you empty them yourself. Sam Adams and other craft brewer bottles will work just fine - soak the labels off of them and they are identical to what your LHBS sells. Buying empties seems counter to good sense - the LHBS will sell a case of empties for $10 or so; a case of full Sams will run $25 - so it's like buying a case of Sams for $15.

I advise people not to go wild on gear buying, just in case you decide it is not the hobby for you. You can get by on a basic kit for a while.

My glass carboys have been relegated to strictly Apfelwein and Mead. I've just been using the Ale Pail for a single primary fermentation, and leaving it there for at least 3 weeks, and then straight into the bottle.

My "stock" reply to this inquiry is:
The Brewer's Best kit, like this one from Midwest, is a great place to start and shouldn't break the bank.
Two items that will make brewing much easier/pleasant to add:
A Wine Thief. This is awesome for pulling a sample and being able to simply slip your hydrometer right in and take a reading.
Auto Siphon. This is highly recommended by a whole bunch of HBT'ers.

ETA: I just wanted to add that I'm not specifically endorsing Midwest with this post. I can recommend both Northern Brewer and Austin Homebrew as excellent suppliers online as well. Midwest just happens to have nice product pages online showing the single items.

Tear the coiled copper coil off grandpa's still and make it into an immersion chiller like this;

Immersion_Chiller.jpg

:D

Welcome to the obsession!

I agree with Ma2Brew on the Midwest setup.

You can brew perfectly good beer with that setup. They include a 90-minute instruction video on homebrewing as well as books.

Nothing in that kit will get obsolete.

I also agree with Ma2Brew, I bought 2 of those setups and have done 4 batches since I started approx 1 month ago (also bought an extra glass carboy for primary -- it's fun to sneak a peak at what's going on inside the fermenter.)

Although Revvy maybe right about where you can get a chiller for cheap, I would just recommend cooling your wort in a sink of ice. Only takes 15 minutes.

If you are looking to start with something easy I would take a style you like then grab a kit from the local home brew store or online. As long as you can follow some basic instructions you should get a nice first batch of beer. Once you get a batch or two under your belt you can try to make your own by assembling the basic ingredients: Extract and/or specialty grains, hops and yeast. There are several recipes in the database that you can try, just apply your experience from your first batch and you are well on your way to all grain. :)

stever said:
If you are looking to start with something easy I would take a style you like then grab a kit from the local home brew store or online. As long as you can follow some basic instructions you should get a nice first batch of beer. Once you get a batch or two under your belt you can try to make your own by assembling the basic ingredients: Extract and/or specialty grains, hops and yeast. There are several recipes in the database that you can try, just apply your experience from your first batch and you are well on your way to all grain. :)

I agree with this....Plus the kits are nearly fool proof, which means if, you can concentrate on your brewing process AND if something goes wrong (which is rare) you're more easily able then to examine your process to see where you messed up, and can improve the next time you brew...

WOW, i did not expect such quick responses. thanks to everyone.

i have been looking at the kits that Midwest, Northern Brewer and the rest sell and will probably order one in the next day or so.

ma2brew, thanks for the input on the wine thief and auto siphon, i will be looking into those.

Revvy, i don't have to rip parts off gramp's still, i have my own to steal from. :) i was wondering if there was something on there i could "re-use" for brewing beer. thanks for the idea.

one last question, is there any one thing i should pay attention to while brewing my first batch?

hansonian said:
WOW, i did not expect such quick responses. thanks to everyone.

i have been looking at the kits that Midwest, Northern Brewer and the rest sell and will probably order one in the next day or so.

ma2brew, thanks for the input on the wine thief and auto siphon, i will be looking into those.

Revvy, i don't have to rip parts off gramp's still, i have my own to steal from. :) i was wondering if there was something on there i could "re-use" for brewing beer. thanks for the idea.

one last question, is there any one thing i should pay attention to while brewing my first batch?

If you read through these thread, it should cover you pretty well...

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/showthread.php?t=54362
https://www.homebrewtalk.com/showthread.php?t=43635
https://www.homebrewtalk.com/showthread.php?t=43014

So does you still have a big copper kettle that you can use as a large brewpot?

Besides the immersion chiller I can't really think of anything else off one, though the only experience I've had with 'shine was drinking it and falling on my face....That was many, many years ago :D

Back